Lightspeed headsets

I just noticed that our two Lightspeed 15 headset ear covers have decomposed – one headset is close to three years old and the other is about two years old. These have never been left out in the heat of the cockpit for more than an occasional hour or two. Am I the only one who thinks that the TBO should be a little longer? Perhaps, I expect too much for $300?

Gary,

I speak with no authority whatsoever… but if my previous experience is anything to go by, Lightspeed will take care of the problem promptly and probably as a warranty repair.

• Mike.

I just noticed that our two Lightspeed 15 headset ear covers have decomposed – one headset is close to three years old and the other is about two years old. These have never been left out in the heat of the cockpit for more than an occasional hour or two. Am I the only one who thinks that the TBO should be a little longer? Perhaps, I expect too much for $300?

From what I have found the ear cups are not leather so the salt from your head makes the ear cups go bad. You need to wipe them when your done or put a coat of food grade silicon. Hope this helps…:}ed

Mike,

Too bad we idn’t get our ‘brains’ from lightspeed as well!!

Gary,

I speak with no authority whatsoever… but if my previous experience is anything to go by, Lightspeed will take care of the problem promptly and probably as a warranty repair.

• Mike.

From what I have found the ear cups are not leather so the salt from your head makes the ear cups go bad. You need to wipe them when your done or put a coat of food grade silicon. Hope this helps…:}ed
Ed,
You may be on to something important. I think it’s the salt from my head that is slowly making my brain go bad… :slight_smile:

• Mike.

Hi Ed,

Can you suggest a manufacturer and product name for food grade silicone? (A search on the web turned up a supplier that only sells it by the case, which seems like overkill.)

Thanks,

Roger

Ed, Can you suggest a manufacturer and product name for food grade silicone? (A search on the web turned up a supplier that only sells it by the case, which seems like overkill. Thanks, Roger

Roger,

You might try going to a SCUBA shop, usually listed in the Yellow Pages under “Divers’ Equipment & Supplies.” They generally sell silicone spray used for lubricating and protecting dive equipment. It should say on the bottle if it’s food grade.

-Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion! There’s a dive shop (as well as few dives of a different kind) not far from the Santa Barbara Airport, so I’ll check this out.

Cheers,

Roger

Ed, Can you suggest a manufacturer and product name for food grade silicone? (A search on the web turned up a supplier that only sells it by the case, which seems like overkill. Thanks, Roger

Roger,

You might try going to a SCUBA shop, usually listed in the Yellow Pages under “Divers’ Equipment & Supplies.” They generally sell silicone spray used for lubricating and protecting dive equipment. It should say on the bottle if it’s food grade.

-Mike