Just got my Tablet PC & Jepp Charts

Mason, the joy of JeppView is choice. You can print either letter sized charts or you can order paper from Jeppesen with the Jepp Binder holes in them. The paper is perforated so that you get two standard Jepp charts per page (assuming one sided only printing). I print my charts on a B&W laser printer so I don’t get color, but if you use a color printer (ink jet or laser) you’ll get the full color treatment. My only caveat with the inkjet technique is that it’s painfully slow compared to a laser.
What I do is open JeppView, specify my destination and arrival airports. I print all the charts for those airports plus my alternate on letter size looseleaf paper that I put into a small binder to take with me. JeppView then draws a map of my route (straight line) and allows me to choose airports within 50, 100 or 200 miles from the route centerline. It lets me filter so that only airports with a minimum runway length or a precision approach appear. I can then select those airports and print out charts for them if I desire. The way I do that is to tell the program I’m using the Jepp paper so it prints two charts per side and I have a printer that prints both sides of the paper so I fit 4 IAPs on one sheet. I put these in my binder for emergency use. Perhaps it sounds complicated but at least for me it’s not too bad. It also has the advantage of making you aware of all the suitable airports along your proposed route.
Certainly if I had a computer I was comfortable with in the cockpit I would print only the arrival charts and call anything else up only as necessary.
By the way, while JeppView comes on a CD you can load the CD onto the hard drive so you don’t need the CD (or a CD drive) in the cockpit.
Hope that makes sense. If you want any more information, give me a call.

Thanks Jerry.

One more question. Can I load the CD on my laptop and my machine at home?

Mason

In reply to:

You can print either letter sized charts or you can order paper from Jeppesen with the Jepp Binder holes in them.

Or you can what I do, which is print them two-up in landscape mode on regular 8.5 x 11 paper, fold the paper in half, and punch them for the Jepp-style holes with an appropriate hole punch. They come out exactly the same size as regular Jepps, and you get a chart on both sides. (In color, by the way. Another nice Jeppview feature.)

You can buy the punchQuill for $27, and other places have it as well.

Yes you can. I believe the only restriction is that you can’t use the program on both machines simultaneously. I have it on my home computer for flight planning and printing and then carry the data on the laptop for inflight use.

Jerrold,
I think this was an old option.
Before last 8.2 version, I run Jepp FliteStar/View/Deck in three computer:
at home,
office and
notebook, updating all three computer at any new 28 dayCD.
When I changed my PC at home and few weeks later in office, was been impossible to install (and run) the program.

I contacted Jepp that explain to me the new version permit only TWO installation.
I told them how and when I used it before (only one per time) but, I obtained only a NEW code registration for ONE computer (I choice x office where I have faster printer ans as more probable place where I can need to make new flight plan, continuin to use the notebook aoutside and at home).

So, now I’m looking for change my notebook with a new Tablet PC (as I told here in few posts). So I’ll must contact Jepp for to delete my older CODE and to obtain from them a new one for my new “Tablet” if this will be).

Hope I’m been enough clear.

Again excuse me to every members for my poor english.

Thanks Gordon, Great idea.

Clyde,

The P-series is slightly smaller and has a faster ATI graphics card, but the ram is 384 Mb at max. The Crusoe processor is not very fast, but uses less energy.

Jaap

Clyde,
Thanks, I think I will give up proc. speed and some RAM to go with the P series. At 3.5 pounds including a built in cd/dvd I like the size.

Most of my work is: internet, e mail, some word processing, and flight planning.

Now I am looking for a small retractable Cat 5 cable. Somthing that coils up in a small plastic shell so the cord does not take up much room in the computer bag. Any ideas?

Mason

In reply to:

How do you get traffic pattern altitude. I don’t see it in AirNav or on the Jepp airport chart?

It is on the Airnav data report, in the “Airport Operations” section.

E.g., for SMO:

Airport Operations
Airport use:Â 
Open to the public
Sectional chart:Â 
LOS ANGELES
Control tower:Â 
yes
ARTCC:Â 
LOS ANGELES CENTER
FSS:Â 
HAWTHORNE FLIGHT SERVICE STATION [1-800-WX-BRIEF]
NOTAMs facility:Â 
SMO (NOTAM-D service available)
Attendance:Â 
CONTINUOUS
**Pattern altitude:Â 
TPA:  1200' AGL SINGLE-ENG; 1700' AGL TWIN-ENG.**

Wind indicator:Â 
lighted

Segmented circle:Â 
yes

Lights:Â 
DUSK-DAWN
WHEN ATCT CLSD ACTVT MIRL RY 03/21; VASI RY 03; REIL & PAPI RY 21 - CTAF.

Beacon:Â 
white-green (lighted land airport)

International operations:Â 
customs landing rights airport

They also include sunset/sunrise and civil twilight times, current METARs and TAFs for the primary airport and nearby airports, fuel prices, etc. Try that with an AFD!

Sometimes even the AFD doesn’t have the TPA – before my PPL checkride, I did a phase check and the instructor diverted us to Byron, CA (C83) and asked me to determine the TPA. I was completely dumbfounded when the AFD didn’t mention anything about the TPA. The instructor thought I was an idiot until she also looked at the AFD. This was last April – I don’t know if they’ve added that information to the AFD since then…

Pattern altitudes are also in the AOPA Airport Directory.

They also include sunset/sunrise and civil twilight times, current METARs and TAFs for the primary airport and nearby airports, fuel prices, etc. Try that with an AFD!

AirNav shows pattern altitude for GAI as 1338 and 600 for helicopters. The A/FD show pattern altitude as 1338 and 1138 for helicopters. Which will you believe?

Try KSUE in AirNav. I don’t see a TPA.

I like a combination of Flight Guide and Jeppesen approach plates. I also have the Aircharts VFR “atlas” which resides on the back seat so it is ready if needed.

The Flight Guide is small and not too expensive. I just have the Western States version, but my hangar neighbor has the whole country so I borrow his when I need. It has a lot of other handy information, VFR area charts around the major airports, FBO, hotel and restaurant information, etc.

I usually write the TPA and ground control frequencies on the same page I write the ATIS on. It is good to have the TPA close at hand, particularly since many approaches involve circling to another runway or a visual approach with a pattern.

In reply to:

AirNav shows pattern altitude for GAI as 1338 and 600 for helicopters. The A/FD show pattern altitude as 1338 and 1138 for helicopters. Which will you believe?

The AOPA Airport Directory shows: Rotorcraft: 1140 MSL. I believe it is time to call the airport operator! [:)]

In reply to:

Try KSUE in AirNav. I don’t see a TPA.

AOPA’s airport directory shows it as 1700.

Since most TPAs are either 800 or 1000 AGL, if I can’t find it in print I use 900. That puts me as close to the correct TPA as many of the pilots who know it get.

That’s why I carry the AOPA Airport Directory in my airplane (in the mesh pocket behind the copilot seat for easy access). The AOPA book has the TPA for every airport I’ve ever looked up in it. It’s also handy when you are landing at an unfamiliar towered airport and Ground Control wants to know what FBO you are going to. (Uh, the blue one?)

-Mike