Jim's Book - An Apology

It appears that my posting this morning was very sarcastic. I apologize to Jim and anyone else who read it.

Actually, I was serious: I thought getting mentioned in the WSJ was a very positive event for the sales of the book and the discussions that it was presumably meant to inspire.

However, that being said, I also must also confess that I did not have time to read the op-ed piece until later, quite frankly until after seing the other posts on this site. Upon reading it (and them), it seems like my comments were sarcastic and pusilanimous. For this and not reading the article before I commented I apologize.

Marty

Hey, your reaction is wonderful confirmation of the oldest rule in the book-promo business: ANY publicity is good! No problem whatsoever.

If ALL the reviews of a book or movie are bad, you’re in trouble. But (crassly) it helps to have one or two really hostile ones when the general tone is good. There is a quite positive one coming out in the NY Times this weekend, so the WSJ one sets up the right kind of creative tension.

Just as Cirrus would be better with a stronger Lancair, a book is stronger when there’s some friction set up in the reviews.

I just ordred the book from Amazon.

Can we find the WSJ review on the web?

Bill

It appears that my posting this morning was very sarcastic. I apologize to Jim and anyone else who read it.

Actually, I was serious: I thought getting mentioned in the WSJ was a very positive event for the sales of the book and the discussions that it was presumably meant to inspire.

However, that being said, I also must also confess that I did not have time to read the op-ed piece until later, quite frankly until after seing the other posts on this site. Upon reading it (and them), it seems like my comments were sarcastic and pusilanimous. For this and not reading the article before I commented I apologize.

Marty

As usual, the WSJ and NYT are on opposite ends of the opinion spectrum. Ain’t nuthin’ pusilanimous about those two!

Pete

Hey, your reaction is wonderful confirmation of the oldest rule in the book-promo business: ANY publicity is good! No problem whatsoever.

If ALL the reviews of a book or movie are bad, you’re in trouble. But (crassly) it helps to have one or two really hostile ones when the general tone is good. There is a quite positive one coming out in the NY Times this weekend, so the WSJ one sets up the right kind of creative tension.

Just as Cirrus would be better with a stronger Lancair, a book is stronger when there’s some friction set up in the reviews.

GREAT BOOK JIM! I just finished reading it. I was so impressed, I ordered some more for presents.

Can’t wait for your next one.

Denis