how close do your EGT peaks match up ?

After reading the comments and stories on the Arnav Engine Monitoring, and studying the Deakin and GAMI articles, I’m interested to hear what Cirrus owner / operators are seeing with their EGT readings. If you’ve got Arnav EM or any other 6 cylinder monitoring instrument, how closely together do your peak EGT points occur as you lean the mixture ? Are they very close or widely separated ? Are you able to operate at lean of peak while keeping all cylinders near the 50 deg LOP point ? Does the same cylinder always peak first ?

Morton / Fadden reported engine knocking when trying to operate lean of peak before they got Arnav EM, indicating significantly wide variation in mixtures at different cylinders. Is anybody out there operating with good results at best economy setting using the stock single cylinder EGT gauge ?

To Peter Morton and Delmar Fadden, do you guys have any updates to your Arnav EM experiences ?

Thanks for your input…

RA

Hopeful Future Cirrus Owner

After reading the comments and stories on the Arnav Engine Monitoring, and studying the Deakin and GAMI articles, I’m interested to hear what Cirrus owner / operators are seeing with their EGT readings. - RA

RA,

I have been doing a LOT of LOP ops in the cruise – although have stopped doing so during climb (not sure why – just not confident about it yet, I guess).

I find that my EGTs stay within +/- 25 degrees of deviation from peak (not absolute); that is to say, when I lean I can have 3 or 4 cylinders right at 50 LOP, while one or two might be up to 25 higher, one or two might be 25 lower (yes, the total number of cylinders always comes out to six!)

On one occasion, I couldn’t get smooth running at anywhere approaching 50 LOP; found out that I had bumped the BOOST pump into the ON position. Really screws this up.

For me, my number 1 cylinder always peaks first. For a friend, it’s always the number 3 cylinder.

Hope this helps…

Mike.