hdg flag

two quick questions with my SR20

1. the ‘HDG flag’ came in and out often today while flying a couple hours…tried to re-set and ‘free the gyro’…no good…had plenty of suction from the pump and other units utlilizing the pump where fine.

2. when starting the 430 and 420…the 420 seems to be ‘tempermental’ in obtaining its satellite info. sometimes a minute or 2 …sometimes 15…the 430 is immediate…

Thanks for your help

Don

1. the ‘HDG flag’ came in and out often today while flying a couple hours…tried to re-set and ‘free the gyro’…no good…had plenty of suction from the pump and other units utlilizing the pump where fine.
  1. when starting the 430 and 420…the 420 seems to be ‘tempermental’ in obtaining its satellite info. sometimes a minute or 2 …sometimes 15…the 430 is immediate…

Thanks for your help

Don

Don, need to know if you have a "c: or “b” package…Ed

1. when starting the 430 and 420…the 420 seems to be ‘tempermental’ in obtaining its satellite info. sometimes a minute or 2 …sometimes 15…the 430 is immediate…

Thanks for your help

Don

OOps, I forgot to tell you it sounds like a “c” package. The c package has a elec hsi and it sounds like you do not have enough suction, or the hsi is failing. “Been there, done that and got the tee-shirt”…Ed

Thanks for your help

Don

“B”!

Thanks for your help

Don

OOps, I forgot to tell you it sounds like a “c” package. The c package has a elec hsi and it sounds like you do not have enough suction, or the hsi is failing. “Been there, done that and got the tee-shirt”…Ed

Actually, if Don’s got the 430 & 420, it must be a “B” package - the C would come with two 430s. (Don, I think you told me which you were getting, but I forgot!)

I wouldn’t be too surprised to hear the HSI is having some problems, and it seems like that’s the most likely culprit if the AI was fine and your suction gauge read in the green. My HSI has failed twice (although both times was the glideslope function) and I’ve talked to other SR20 owners who have had HSI failures, both electric and vacuum.

As for the 420 – has it been like that since you got the plane? Did the previous owner ever notice it? A minute or two occasionally wouldn’t worry me too much but 15 minutes to lock on doesn’t sound good (unless you’re doing weird things like starting it up in a very different location than where you shut it down, etc.).

I seem to recall reading on this forum that the #2 GPS antenna is under the panel headliner. If that’s the case, I guess I could see how putting a bunch of metal on the headliner might interfere with things – do you have a big metal kneeboard or anything that you put on the headliner during startup? (just a wild stab in the dark here…)

Steve

Steve,

Thanks…it is a ‘B’. forgot to mention the glideslope failed as well with the HDG flag. Sounds like a trip to a service center…I haven’t hung anything on the headliner and shutdown/re-activated at the same place.

Where did you goto get your glidescope fixed?

Don

Steve,

Thanks…it is a ‘B’. forgot to mention the glideslope failed as well with the HDG flag. Sounds like a trip to a service center…I haven’t hung anything on the headliner and shutdown/re-activated at the same place.

Where did you goto get your glidescope fixed?

Don

Don,

I went to http://www.harrisburgjetcenter.comHarrisburg Jet Center in Harrisburg, PA (CXY) since they were the nearest Century warranty center I could find. (Specifically, the avionics shop next to the Cirrus service center at Manassas is not authorized to do warranty repairs on Century units, though it looks like they can do warranty work on most any other kind of avionics).

I would suspect you could find a suitable shop much closer to you though!

Steve