Flying has been fun recently (off topic with the exception that it is about flying)

Under what specific circumstance is it better to place the interest of another human being(s) above your own?

Walking 10 yards to drop your rubbish in a bin instead of on the ground; giving up half a day of your time to help your neighbour pour a concrete slab; etc. etc.

Of course doing these things isn’t really acting against your own self interest - it’s just a matter of believing that giving generously in the short term will bring rewards in the longer term. Your neighbour may never return the favor - but others will.

At the same time, as the airlines say, fit your own oxygen mask before helping others…

guilt and fear of disapproval are not useful motivators.

Last post from me (on this subject)in response to the various posts below and above.

All good ideas folks. And as social beings man needs man to survive and thrive. However, you are all acting in your best interest in each of the items you mentioned. From taking out the neighbors trash to fighting for your country and beliefs in a foxhole in WWII. You derive some happiness or contentment or satisfaction in doing it. All I am saying is that its okay to feel good about doing good and to not delude yourself that selflessness is the source of happiness or believe you have to elevate another above your self for happiness. That belief can lead to oppression of you and humanity when taken advantage of by certain unsavory elements of our society (and it has…many, many times including in the recent terrorist attacks).

Like many of you I am active in charitable organizations, spend an hour a week in a local high school teaching students about success and the value of the American free enterprise system, give generously to causes I believe in, hire many people in companies I own, and provide customers with products and services they need and want. And I do all I do (shamelessly admitted) because I enjoy doing it and derive pleasure from it.

The result (not intent) of my beliefs, actions and philosophy is that many more people benefit from my efforts than if I were motivated purely by selfless altruism.

The world would be a better place if we all sought the truth, behaved rationally and acted in our own long term self interest. It is unfortunate that many of us don’t and we all suffer as a result.

Enough already about my philosophy… let’s talk about stuff we are all passionate about and enjoy. Cirrus airplanes and flying.

Mark

Ps - Thanks for the all the thoughtful and well intentioned posts. It’s been fun.

Under what specific circumstance is it better to place the interest of another human being(s) above your own?

(spouse, children and close family excluded because in elevating their interest above your own one can argue that you are still acting in you own rational self-interest)

Amend that name to Mark

Last post from me (on this subject)in response to the various posts below and above.

All good ideas folks. And as social beings man needs man to survive and thrive. However, you are all acting in your best interest in each of the items you mentioned. From taking out the neighbors trash to fighting for your country and beliefs in a foxhole in WWII. You derive some happiness or contentment or satisfaction in doing it. All I am saying is that its okay to feel good about doing good and to not delude yourself that selflessness is the source of happiness or believe you have to elevate another above your self for happiness. That belief can lead to oppression of you and humanity when taken advantage of by certain unsavory elements of our society (and it has…many, many times including in the recent terrorist attacks).

Like many of you I am active in charitable organizations, spend an hour a week in a local high school teaching students about success and the value of the American free enterprise system, give generously to causes I believe in, hire many people in companies I own, and provide customers with products and services they need and want. And I do all I do (shamelessly admitted) because I enjoy doing it and derive pleasure from it.

The result (not intent) of my beliefs, actions and philosophy is that many more people benefit from my efforts than if I were motivated purely by selfless altruism.

This idea work very well for those of us who do derive satisfaction from doing good for others, though I still maintain that you move the line on what rational self-interest means to fit your needs. For example, what is the time table of that? Should I do what makes me happy in the moment? Or in the long run? Often one is not the other. Moreover, I don’t see how giving up one’s own life for the good of stangers fits this - unless you believe you will go straight to paradise.

Finally, I am afraid that there are a lot of people out there who would not discover on their own that doing for others is a good thing. Clearly you have, and that is great. Your rational self-interest includes doing good for others because you believe it makes you better. But there are a number of people who might never figure this out without the benefit of someone giving them a little shove in that direction, and would instead use your model as a justification for a very isolated life.

Back to the skies… er… I guess not.

One of the 41,000.

Dean

PS - Do you think other airplane boards have such philospohical debates, or it more like which Jaguar is the best color?:slight_smile: