Flight to Mexico

I am considering a trip to Vera Cruz Mexico. Does anyone have any thoughts, warnings, etc?

In reply to:

I am considering a trip to Vera Cruz Mexico. Does anyone have any thoughts, warnings, etc?

Check your insurance policy carefully.

• Mike.

Dennis -

Check out www.bajabushpilots.com and AOPA for border crossing procedures and required documents. BBP recommends Mexican insurance even if your policy covers flight into Mexico. You can get a faxed binder in one day from BBP. It’s cheap. I believe I pay $110 for the year. I also have a multiple entry permit, good for one year, which BBP got me for a $30 fee. My experience flying in Mexico has been very positive. The major airports have excellent security; fuel prices are generally work out to around $3.40 per Gal. I’m flying down to Guymas for New Years Eve. From my well-spent youth, I have fond memories of Vera Cruz . . . but that’s another story.

Bill

Join Baja Bush Pilots, buy the book and follow the instructions and it will be easy and painless. Don’t be afraid to use the dirt strips with the wheel pants on the SR2x’s. Bring some of the basic medicine you may require for stomach problems just in case.

Many landing strips in Mexico have been made unuseable to discourage drug runners. This can happen overnight. Look for ditches or piles of dirt or rocks before you attempt a landing. On my recent trip to Guaymas the two strips near San Carlos were covered with dirt piles.

In reply to:

Many landing strips in Mexico have been made unuseable… This can happen overnight.

Bill,

Sounds as though things as tough in Mexico as they are in Chicago! [:P]

• Mike.