Electric Failure Procedures

My experience two weeks ago today, regarding smoke in the cockpit has provoked some thinking on my part regarding electrical failure on the SR20. (Incidentially, the smoke came from a bad transistor in the autopilot, and Cirrus and my local FBO have done a commendable job of servicing the problem.)

With all the focus we have on what happens if the alternator(s) fail, I can tell you first hand that if smoke is coming from the avionics stack, battery output is the last thing you’re interested in. Additionally, if this were to happen when you’re in the clouds, immediately going through the procedures to isolate the problem isn’t a viable option.

So, with the master off, here’s what we’re facing: No HSI (C-Configuration); no Gps’s; no autopilot; no radios (nav or comm) no tachometer; no manifold pressure; no trim. Have attitude indicator; have turn&bank; have wet compass. Not an especially easy trip out of the clouds, especially if there’s a low ceiling and a precision approach is needed.

With the benefit of forethought (actually afterthought in my case), here’s my thinking. 1)Understand how to fly the plane with only full, detent, and no throttle options. 2) If #1 can’t be done, run a strip of masking or transparent tape along side the throttle “slit” and mark critical throttle settings. 3) When in the clouds, carry along, have close by, and have turned on a handheld GPS and handheld nav/com. 4)Be within range of VFR conditions (or at least non-precision approach conditions), and know roughly how to get to them; a no-electric ILS approach would be a challenge. 5)With an instructor or safety pilot, practice no-electric partial panel under the hood.

I love my Cirrus, and believe it or not, my confidence in the plane continues to grow. At the same time, we need to recognize that with the new technology comes a need to learn new procedures to deal with loosing it.

FYIW!

Andy

My experience two weeks ago today, regarding smoke in the cockpit has provoked some thinking on my part regarding electrical failure on the SR20. (Incidentially, the smoke came from a bad transistor in the autopilot, and Cirrus and my local FBO have done a commendable job of servicing the problem.)

With all the focus we have on what happens if the alternator(s) fail, I can tell you first hand that if smoke is coming from the avionics stack, battery output is the last thing you’re interested in. Additionally, if this were to happen when you’re in the clouds, immediately going through the procedures to isolate the problem isn’t a viable option.

So, with the master off, here’s what we’re facing: No HSI (C-Configuration); no Gps’s; no autopilot; no radios (nav or comm) no tachometer; no manifold pressure; no trim. Have attitude indicator; have turn&bank; have wet compass. Not an especially easy trip out of the clouds, especially if there’s a low ceiling and a precision approach is needed.

With the benefit of forethought (actually afterthought in my case), here’s my thinking. 1)Understand how to fly the plane with only full, detent, and no throttle options. 2) If #1 can’t be done, run a strip of masking or transparent tape along side the throttle “slit” and mark critical throttle settings. 3) When in the clouds, carry along, have close by, and have turned on a handheld GPS and handheld nav/com. 4)Be within range of VFR conditions (or at least non-precision approach conditions), and know roughly how to get to them; a no-electric ILS approach would be a challenge. 5)With an instructor or safety pilot, practice no-electric partial panel under the hood.

I love my Cirrus, and believe it or not, my confidence in the plane continues to grow. At the same time, we need to recognize that with the new technology comes a need to learn new procedures to deal with loosing it.

FYIW!

Andy

By the way, it’s Bresler (not Breslerle) and it’s FWIW (not FYIW)

Andy

Re:

You bring up a point which should cause SR22 drivers some brow furrowing. I think you’re right, in that when smoke happens in IMC you’re gonna kill all electrical and sort it out later. But in that SR22, that kills everything except the turn and bank. Sure, you’re going to see if killing the non-essential bus solves the problem first, but if smoke is still happening on the essential bus it is going to be a verrrry interesting few minutes of fairly frantic breaker pulling and pushing, with a very partial panel. Chutes will probably be pulled in this situation.

Mention has been made here of a small (2.25") battery powered attitude indicator made by BF Goodrich. If you can find a place to put it, this sounds like a Good Thing to seriously consider. Yes, we should all be proficient with just the T&B but real-life scenarios and accident reports seem to indicate that having a horizon is a big big help.

Gordon

Andy

Not having electrical output is not as critical as not having vacuum. If I have to choose I’ll rather have vacuum (except at night).

Try to fly with the master off in VFR next time you are out and try to simulate vacuum pump failure. Use your airspeed indicator and VSI for power settings if you ever lose tach and MP gages.

I fully agree with you that we should always be prepared for contingencies. Don’t forget the cell phone and have the towers’ phone numbers

handy in case of com failure.

FYIW!

Andy

By the way, it’s Bresler (not Breslerle) and it’s FWIW (not FYIW)

Andy

Chutes will probably be pulled in this situation.
Gordon,
Hangar flying various permutations of failures is a useful and interesting pastime; so here’s another wrinkle.
If what we’re facing is smoke in the cabin while in IMC, and shutting down electrics does NOT solve the problem (or, it’s uncertain), that would indeed be a VERY tough situation. I would have to think twice about deploying the CAPS; if I really have a fire onboard, I want to get down FAST. On the other hand, how do I do that safely with such limited options?
I hope I never have to deal with fire in the cabin, but especially not while IMC!

• Mike.