ECCFI #3 - question

Just curious what equipment other folks are packing? Looks to be about 25-30 nm between Martha’s Vineyard VOR and Nantucket. Presumably we will be at fairly low altitudes during this time (decending for landing or climbing out on the way back).

I’m assuming ACK is pretty busy and wouldn’t want people flying directly overhead at 10k and circling down over the airport (or conversely, climbing to 10k overhead before departing the island).

We’re never flown “offshore” before. Are most people packing life vests/life rafts? We have a small kit but it’s just stuff like a knife, a little food, etc. Nothing suitable for ditching.

A little late to be asking now, but the thought just occured to me. Is it ill-advised to fly to ACK without better safety equipment?

Thanks,

Steve

Is it ill-advised to fly to ACK without better safety equipment?
Steve,
No comment on whether it’s ill-advised to do ANYTHING; tradeoffs apply to everything in life. I will carry (but not wear) lifevests, because I have 'em. The only difference will be that I’ll put them on the back seat, within reach.
If you count the little islands between MVY and ACK as land, the longest overwater distance is 8 or so miles (based on one quick, crude measurement - please don’t take my word for it). Based on that, I figure that 6,000 feet is a safe altitude to be at the midway point in the crossing; after that, it’s going to be a struggle to get down anyway.
Departure is another matter. I’ll probably head east, then north - I should be able to gain enough altitude over the NE point of Nantucket Island to be comfortable before I start “the crossing”.
FWIW, I routinely cross water in my airplane, and I’ve always felt fine doing so (hopefully not a case of familiarity breeding contempt). On departure from BLM, I climb to 5,000 feet or better over land before I head out towards JFK, where I’m never farther than 5 miles from land; I use a similar strategy on departure from Norfolk before heading north over the Chesapeake bay.
When those trips have been IFR, I’ve told Clearance Delivery that I want to climb over land. Sometimes they amend the clearance; sometimes they just say they’ll pass my request along to the Departure Controller, and that it’s no problem. I suppose that this is not correct protocol, because my exact path wouldn’t be known to them if I lost communications; but that’s the way its worked for me so far. When I contact Departure, I’ll typically get “Four Mike Romeo, leave Dixie on a heading of 180, vectors for your climb”. When I’m getting close, they’ll give me something like “Four Mike Romeo, turn right, proceed direct DIXIE…” (a U-turn) “… cross at/maintain 5,000 and continue on course”. This way, I arrive at DIXIE at say 2,000 feet after takeoff, but depart DIXIE after the U-Turn at 5,000 feet.
The exception to this (for me) is departing IFR from PWK (Palwaukee, near Chicago) heading east. That’s a LOT of water, so I file “No Overwater Routing” in the Comments. That doesn’t stop them from ISSUING an overwater routing, but they revise it quickly when I point out the comment. Of course, the alternate routing is much longer, but that is a big lake.

• Mike.

Just curious what equipment other folks are packing? Looks to be about 25-30 nm between Martha’s Vineyard VOR and Nantucket. Presumably we will be at fairly low altitudes during this time (decending for landing or climbing out on the way back).

I’m assuming ACK is pretty busy and wouldn’t want people flying directly overhead at 10k and circling down over the airport (or conversely, climbing to 10k overhead before departing the island).

We’re never flown “offshore” before. Are most people packing life vests/life rafts? We have a small kit but it’s just stuff like a knife, a little food, etc. Nothing suitable for ditching.

A little late to be asking now, but the thought just occured to me. Is it ill-advised to fly to ACK without better safety equipment?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, I fly and boat in that area all Summer. Get down low and enjoy the sites. There are 100’s of boats all over that area all the time. A life vest for each passenger is all I would bother with. There are many Islands all along the way from Buzzards Bay to Nantucket. The Northwester tip of Nantucket nearly touches Martha’s Vineyard’s Southeast corner. Relax and enjoy yourself. If the vis is good, you will be glad you got down low. On the way back, stop at Block Island. Great airport and diner.

Hope to see you there.

Denis (N726CD) SR22

Thanks,

Steve

Water is pretty warm this time of year and ACK is at best 30 miles from shore. Cape approach on 126.1 and 118.3, ATIS 127.5…have fun

Steve, I fly and boat in that area all Summer. Get down low and enjoy the sites. There are 100’s of boats all over that area all the time…

Denis,

I hadn’t even considered all those boats! Thanks - you’ve reduced my anxiety, too.

• Mike.