Does a lot break on your Cirrus?

In reply to:

He’s talking about a 2000 year model SR20. There are absolutely NO “advanced and more expensive” avionics, other than the ARNAV MFD, in a Cirrus that old relative to a 1970’s era Cessna or Piper that has had a Garmin stack and possibly an EHSI upgrade.

Actually, the “C” model had an electric EHSI Century 1000, as opposed to the Century 360 vac HSI. I guess that’s why it had a 2nd alternator.

In reply to:

He’s talking about a 2000 year model SR20. There are absolutely NO “advanced and more expensive” avionics,

Garmin(s)?

Jim Knollenberg SR20 1281 N814

In reply to:

The SR20 DOESN’T doesn’t fare better. My 2002 SR20 has gone through 4 alternators in just under 1000 hours total time. According to the servce center techs I have talked to about trying to resolve the issue, 250-350 hours is about all you can expect for the life span of the #1 (front, belt-driven) alternator in a “typical” SR20.

I guess I’ve been luckier, 750 TT with NO Alt ! problems at all. I have a “B” Model & the ALT2 was an option and was replaced twice under warranty, resealed twice and again just replaced. Vacumn pump lasted 733.2 TT.

My 2002 SR20 has been much less expensive to maintain than the Cessna I had for 25 years, and I’ve never missed a flight for maintenance reasons

In reply to:

I guess I’ve been luckier, 750 TT with NO Alt ! problems at all.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee. [:)][:)][:)]

Jim Knollenberg SR20 1281 N814

Thank u all for some great insight. Sounds like this may in fact be baseline.

As a bit of background - the 210 alt failure was actually the belt snapping in flight. Alternator itself was fine.

I guess what this really comes down to is alternator failures happen so often, and we are becoming more and more electrically driven, that a backup alternator is a great thing to have…

I’ve owned two airplanes and never had problems with alternators…other than one that died after 1500 hours or so, which I assume is normal. Why would some airplanes and not others have recurrent alternator problems, particularly if all planes are using the same alt. manufacturers?

In reply to:

Why would some airplanes and not others have recurrent alternator problems, particularly if all planes are using the same alt. manufacturers?

I have often wondered that about women. After all, they all come from the same manufacturer. I guess it’s all in the placement and application

In reply to:

I know some guys are having the #1 alternator rebuilt at 500 hours just in case. Any thoughts on this?
I still have the original #1 and #2 alternators with no trouble on either one.

Leave them alone till they go, would be my suggestion. I replaced Alt 1 at 490 hours and again at 900 hours. I also replaced Alt 2 at 600 hours. All due to them going bad on me.

I did keep the core of my last one and am having it re built and will stock a Alt 1 in my hangar along with a gasket. This way I have the part on hand next time it goes bad.

Mason

In reply to:

I am just now getting my 4th annual on my SR22. Total time is 535 hours. Other than getting my original tires and tubes replaced and the mandatory 500 hour rebuild on the magnetos, I don’t have a single sqwak.
I know some guys are having the #1 alternator rebuilt at 500 hours just in case. Any thoughts on this?
I still have the original #1 and #2 alternators with no trouble on either one.

I just got my plane back from its fifth annual (800 hrs). I still have the original alternators.

At this annual I did replace the MCU to upgrade to the new version. Seems that the original MCU was slightly corroded so I upped for the current version.

Other than being on my second set of brake pads and tires, as well as replacement or overhaul of age limited items the MCU is the first non age/use limited thing I’ve replaced for cause.

In reply to:

Bryan,
Before making a decision on the plane, verify if the life limited parts were replaced at the 5 year annual. Those parts, plus the “CAPS reefer line cutter” with a 6 year life are not inexpensive to replace. Fortunately the lines can mostly be replaced with a higher quality part that does not have a life limit.

Excellent suggestion thank u. Wasnt aware 5yr was a big interval.

I agree with Mason and Jerry.There is no rhyme or reason why the alternators break with some exceptions. If you replace a good one with a new one, the new one may break sooner.

In reply to:

I agree with Mason and Jerry…

Brian,

That is always a great way to start a sentance!!!

Mason

Mason: I know your MP gauge has been acting up for a long time. Glad you have finally found the problem. Hope you can get some help with a repair or rebuild of the MP gauge.

In reply to:

Mason: I know your MP gauge has been acting up for a long time. Glad you have finally found the problem. Hope you can get some help with a repair or rebuild of the MP gauge.

I guess it is only money. I too am glad I now know the problem. But by and large my plane has been pretty good with only minor problems.

Mason