Demo Flight NYC area

Some difference from west and east here. The NA easily climbs above the thermal bumps east of Colorado, I seldom fly below the PBL and is easily achieved 8-11,000’ (in the worst case, usually 4-6k’). Speaking of high altitude, I find it more often than not the existence of high level airmets (more associated with upper level features like troughs) and lots of airliners complaining of bumps while I fly in smooth air below.

I’m back and forth on the turbo. Right around the NYC area it’s a waste unless it’s vfr. IFR altitudes for piston singles are hard and in the single digits from DC to Boston, even throughout NY State. The Purdue trip, however, would be different. It would be 20-30 min faster each way on about 25% more fuel burn assuming FL180. That’s nice, but it’s not going to make it so I could go out and back in one day. Seven hours in any single is a long day.

A short vignette. I never flew more VFR than when I owned the MU2. It burned 40 gph idling on the ground, and about 100 gph below 10K. At FRG it’s easy to get a 20 minute hold for release, and ATC wouldn’t let me above 6000 until I was out of NY Tracon airspace. I would feel similarly constrained in a turbo. My Mooney doesn’t get hurt badly being held down. It’s a significant point around NYC. Once west of Allentown, it’s direct wherever you want to go at any altitude you want (except maybe around Chicago!)

Alex, I’d love to speak with you. Let me see if my wife likes it and then I’ll contact you.

Thanks again to everyone.