Climb EGT

My partner and I have recently taken possession of a SR22 in Idaho Falls, elevation 4,740. Under the guidelines of the college of advanced power management, EGT temperatures during climb at any altitude are those temperatures experienced at a climb from sea level, full power, full rich mixture. We would be grateful if any SR22 pilots who operate at sea level could let us know what their EGT temps are at takeoff and climb through 2,000 ft. At present we lean to maintain 1,350 (our best guess).

I just checked my egt at full power takeoff last week at 120 msl. It was 1405. I usually lean to 1375-1400 on climbout.

Greg, Chris,

I asked a similar question in this post on the Members Discussion Forum. I found Walter Atkinson’s reply very interesting (his COPA ID is “APS”).

• Mike.

Mike,

Can you summarize what you do now after the answers in your referenced post? I read the “free lesson” on the APS web site and the last time I went to a sea level airport, I performed the full power takeoff check and that’s where I got 1400 dF. In answering your post, Walter sounded like it should be closer to 1275 dF. Does my FF need to be turned up. Unfortuneately, I didn’t make note of it on my trip. I was just looking at the EGT.

Thanks in adance.

In reply to:

In answering your post, Walter sounded like it should be closer to 1275 dF. Does my FF need to be turned up. Unfortuneately, I didn’t make note of it on my trip. I was just looking at the EGT.

Chris,
My interpretation of Walter’s advice is that both you and I need to have a higher takeoff FF. The target EGT is supposed to be derived not only at sea level, but on an ISA standard day – although it probably doesn’t make THAT much difference.

• Mike.

In reply to:

the last time I went to a sea level airport, I performed the full power takeoff check and that’s where I got 1400 dF.

You are using the right procedure, but in order to get the right answer you need to have the right fuel flow. With 28.5gph or more you should see a SL takeoff EGT of 1300 or less. That’s the number to fix on. With a too-low fuel flow, you will see a too-high EGT. Then you should wait during the climb, not lean until EGT’s drop down to the 1300-1275 level, and then lean from there. And get your fuel flow fixed.

<<You are using the right procedure, but in order to get the right answer you need to have the right fuel flow. With 28.5gph or more you should see a SL takeoff EGT of 1300 or less.>>

Curt, is that 28.5 with the boost pump on or off?

Jerry

Takeoff fuel flow should be measured however you takeoff. I keep the boost pump on per the POH, so that’s how I measure it.

28.5 is a real minimum value; You can see the calculations on the members board post that show fuel flow should be 29-30gph.

-Curt