Best GA Airports in Chicago Metro

Enjoy. The theater is a 15 min walk from my place.

If you ned local info feel free to call.

Jerry,

Our flight is planned for tomorrow, An IFR day for sure with some areas low at times. With PWK having only one approach I am considering DPA now. What would you suggest as the best way for 4 of us to get downtown. In tomorrow and out Sunday so hoping traffic won’t be a big issue.

Thanks

David

From the north I wouldn’t do Gary unless you’re trying to take the scenic route. Consider Waukegan (KUGN) airport as a possibility. It’s a nice facility, easy in and out (usually direct from the north), and it’s not far from the train station that will take you all the way into downtown.

Getting from DPA to downtown is a hassle. The best way is to take an Uber or Lyft but that will set you back >$100. Currently Uber is quoting $133 and Lyft $120 from downtown to DPA although it is currently rush hour.

There is a train you can take but on the weekend it runs every 2 hours and lets you off at the Ogilve Transportation Center (Madison and Canal). You would have to take a cab or Uber from the airport to the station as the FBO does not have transportation. You actually could walk to the theater from there (15 minutes) but with luggage it would be a real hassle.

What time are you planning to arrive tomorrow? I will probably be at the airport in the morning and would be happy to take you all downtown. I’m busy on Sunday however. Also, note that the Chicago Marathon is on Sunday and there will be lots of temporary road closures to accommodate the runners.

If you do come to DPA your routing will be RFD V171 JOT direct. But you will receive vectors long before you get to JOT. Be sure to include SIMMN in your flight plan. It’s an intersection between RFD and JOT on V171 and often you will be sent there, handed off to Chicago Approach and vectored.

Thank you for the kind offer. A car quote from WEGO (recommended by Dupage flight) is $98 so we will do that.

Thank you for the routing info. I will prepare.

David

Thanks John!

I was looking for options that don’t include the train.

David

Thank you for the help Jerry! I feel good about my decision. Dupage did great. 300 ovc in dupage. I wouldn’t have liked the same 300’ with a 10 Kts tailwind on approach at executive. WeGO is a nice ride into the city. Met us at the plane and $98

Enjoy your stay in Chicago. You just discovered why I keep my plane at DPA even though PWK, GYY and IGQ are all less of a drive.

Two ILS approaches, Five RNAV approaches, long wide runways, unobstructed approaches, good ATC; What’s not to like (except the drive downtown).