battery problems

on friday i had my second problem with the battery in 4 weeks ( during this period i flew 30+ hours, and power is turned on for pre flight checks for the absolute minimum time). both times have been when i havent been able to start the engine very easily…after 4 attempts or so the battery dies, and i have to remove it for charging. has anyone else had such problems?

on friday i had my second problem with the battery in 4 weeks … has anyone else had such problems?

Yes, VH-CRF (which used to be N142CD, and is of a similar vintage to your plane) had to have the battery replaced recently (they aren’t cheap, either!) It suffered starting problems for a while beforehand, since the battery was replaced, no further problem.

PS what’s Robin up to - isn’t that his plane? Or did he sell it?

on friday i had my second problem with the battery in 4 weeks ( during this period i flew 30+ hours, and power is turned on for pre flight checks for the absolute minimum time). both times have been when i havent been able to start the engine very easily…after 4 attempts or so the battery dies, and i have to remove it for charging. has anyone else had such problems?

–We’re having the same type of problem right now. On five occasions now, we’ve gone out for a flight only to find the battery dead. We’ve had it to our shop where they confirmed that the alternator is putting out adequate charge and the specific gravity of the water checked out.

The first time it happened to us was July 4th. We took the battery out to charge it and realized the water had boiled over. We refilled with distilled water and charged it–the plane started right up. Two days later, it was dead again. That’s when we took it to the shop. All looked good. Three days later, dead again. We got a jump and flew off. Next day, dead again.

The battery’s charging as I type. Tomorrow we’re headed to the shop for a new battery–hope it’s covered under the warranty (I think it is).

I’ll let you know if we find anything specific wrong.

-Heath

on friday i had my second problem with the battery in 4 weeks … has anyone else had such problems?

Yes, VH-CRF (which used to be N142CD, and is of a similar vintage to your plane) had to have the battery replaced recently (they aren’t cheap, either!) It suffered starting problems for a while beforehand, since the battery was replaced, no further problem.

PS what’s Robin up to - isn’t that his plane? Or did he sell it?

robin sold it to me almost exactly a month ago - as his sr22 was ready.

im going on a long trip this weekend - i shall replace the battery before i go!