Auto altitude adjust

Can some elaborate on the mechanics of the auto adjust mixture control;??

I still have a mental problem not having to adjust the mixture at high altitude moutain hot air departures------ of course I still believe that the television is devil’s work

Rich Meyer

cloud lover

Can some elaborate on the mechanics of the auto adjust mixture control;??

I still have a mental problem not having to adjust the mixture at high altitude moutain hot air departures------ of course I still believe that the television is devil’s work

Rich Meyer

cloud lover

It’s a simple aneroid, which does a coarse adjustment on the mixture based on the air pressure. It errs to the rich side, but is close enough to get you off the ground. (High altitude mountain hot air departures in an SR20 are not really an option anyhow; take a look at the performance charts.)

With a constant-speed prop, the “run up to best rpm and then richen a bit” approach doesn’t work anyhow. The SR22, which does not have the altitude-compensating fuel pump, instead has a fuel-flow-at-full-power placard. Shove the power lever full forward, then pull the mixture back until the fuel flow is set to the right level for the pressure altitude (conveniently displayed on the GTX 327 transponder). By the time you do this, you’re practically at rotation speed. Whee!