ARNAV MFD

I will contact them to find out.

I’d be very surprised if they’re requiring the new hardware. Doesn’t make sense, if they’re offering Revision H alone (without hardware upgrade).

I’d be very surprised if they support pre-revision H software with new databases, nor do I think it’s reasonable to expect them to.

Andy

ARNAV answered my query right away. It looks like you can get database updates without uprading to rev H.
July 31, 2002
ARNAV Sales Bulletin 0702-1

Subject: ICDS 2000 Software Revisions

The ICDS 2000 Multi-Function Display currently supports two (2) software versions. They are V920AG and V920AH.

The V920AH software contains comprehensive base maps including water, roads, population centers, and terrain mapping. A hardware upgrade is required to support the expanded memory requirement of the comprehensive database. All future software upgrades, including feature enhancements, systems integration, Weather Data Link and Traffic Advisory functions, will be based on the V920AH software. The EngineView tm Engine Monitor is supported by both V920AH and V920AG software.

Software V920AG contains the standard Aviation database without the base map features. The V920AG software will support database updates, which can be ordered from ARNAV Systems by calling 253.848.6060 or by e-mail at www.arnav.com. ICDS 2000 owners can use their one-time free database update on either V920AG or V920AH software. Thank you for flying with ARNAV.

Well, I guess its time to call ARNAV 1st person and get a definitive answer. …Humm, perhaps I also should order my database update in early Dec, then enforce the warranty if they can’t comply. I DO have a warranty, an operations manual, and other documents that do describe database availability, but DO NOT refer to any planned or unplanned obsolescence. Also, I bought the hardware in Duluth - the implied warranty statutes are fairly clear there.
I certainly expect them to provide the databases, in perpetuity (or at least for the reasonable expected lifespan of the hardware), that will run on my revision G software! Otherwise, I guess I’ll just have to get my wife the lawyer to research the subject and hopefully make the courts decide. Its ridiculous (if true that they won’t support updated data on older software) that a device won’t work as advertised less than a year after its purchase date due to deliberate actions by the manufacturer!

In reply to:

Its ridiculous (if true that they won’t support updated data on older software) that a device won’t work as advertised less than a year after its purchase date due to deliberate actions by the manufacturer!

William,

See my earlier thread complaining about having to buy a new Skybound Datawriter from Jepp, since our current one (bought last year) will no longer work in a couple months! [:)]

Steve

William, although this turned out to be addressed by ARNAV, I think you have a valid point relative to my post.

Andy

Thank you Gordon for checking into the database update issue which appears to be no issue. Sue from ARNAV emailed me with the same info. that you reported back with. It is good to see ARNAV reads the postings in this forum and is concerned about what the users of their product think.

Gordon, Thanks fo rht info.
I was not referring to databases, but to any maintenance or other software updates. From all that I’ve heard, the old software is unsupported or at least static? Is this correct?

Marty