ARNAV Databaase

Would someone try to verify the height of
the Whetstone Mountains in the database with

a chart of the area east of Tucson? I remember

Walt talking about mountains that were incorrect

in the database in a previous post. I hope that was not the case here. I extend my condolences and prayers.

All the ARNAV database errors I’ve seen have been for non-existent mountains never the reverse. Even so, there just doesn’t seem to be the quality control for database products to be used in aviation even those for “reference only”. I would certainly hope the terrain was accurately stated for the peaks east of Tucson! My bride and I are deeply saddened for the lost of Koehler’s loved ones especially in a plane designed to help prevent accidents. This a reminder to all of us that we are not immune from such accidents. Be careful up there.

As I recall from a discussion with the Arnav rep at Sun’N’Fun, the VNAV profile looks sixty miles ahead with four mile (times 15) points graphically shown on display. However, each graphic unit also indicates, I believe, sixteen miles on each side of the current track line (it may be eight miles on each side for a total of sixteen). In any case, this is done so that a 180 can be made with information about the ground structure on each side of the aircraft not just ahead.

Does this explain the ‘errors’ being reported or is this documented in the manual?

Also - Arnav simply purchases the database info from and OEM. I don’t recall which one.

My best wishes to the Koehler family.

Chris SR22 #95

All the ARNAV database errors I’ve seen have been for non-existent mountains never the reverse. Even so, there just doesn’t seem to be the quality control for database products to be used in aviation even those for “reference only”. I would certainly hope the terrain was accurately stated for the peaks east of Tucson! My bride and I are deeply saddened for the lost of Koehler’s loved ones especially in a plane designed to help prevent accidents. This a reminder to all of us that we are not immune from such accidents. Be careful up there.