Another ARNAV thought

One thing I think needs to be considered, and I plan to ask Cirrus the next time I talk with them unless someone on this forum knows the answer, is what are the estimated prices for the “add ons” to the ARNAV display. Even a rough estimate would help.

I could see a possibility of ending up a captive to top end pricing for bottom end performance especially if it is going to cost a significant amount to display the info on the ARNAV. Kind of like having a “captive audience” or a monopolistic situation.

Another thing, I could see wanting/liking the way JPI, for instance, works and not being able to to use it because the only thing available was a mediocre performing unit displayed on the ARNAV display.

Also the resolution of the ARNAV display as currently installed could be a real handicap in the future. Could anything be done to replace the display and keep the optional transmitting devices (not sure right now what the proper terminology is) like stormscope, engine monitoring, etc.?

Everyone flies differently but I personally fly course selections using headings on the DG or HSI, using everything else as reference. As such it would be nice to have electronic charts available especially approach plates and VFR charts on a relatively large display so as not to have to flip/fold all that paper. I doubt the current ARNAV display could ever be used for such a purpose due to its resolution.

One thing that would go a long way toward pacifying my current dislike for the display would be if ARNAV would just indicate that a Version II may be in the works and all current transmitters (or what ever the word I am trying to think of) would work on the new version. Right now I just don’t see any motivating force to ever come out with a “Version II”.

It’s just to bad such a great plane has to be wrap around this thing.

Keep the greasy side down and hope to see some of you at OSHKOSH.

Regards M Myers

One thing I think needs to be considered, and I plan to ask Cirrus the next time I talk with them unless someone on this forum knows the answer, is what are the estimated prices for the “add ons” to the ARNAV display. Even a rough estimate would help.

I could see a possibility of ending up a captive to top end pricing for bottom end performance especially if it is going to cost a significant amount to display the info on the ARNAV. Kind of like having a “captive audience” or a monopolistic situation.

Another thing, I could see wanting/liking the way JPI, for instance, works and not being able to to use it because the only thing available was a mediocre performing unit displayed on the ARNAV display.

Also the resolution of the ARNAV display as currently installed could be a real handicap in the future. Could anything be done to replace the display and keep the optional transmitting devices (not sure right now what the proper terminology is) like stormscope, engine monitoring, etc.?

Everyone flies differently but I personally fly course selections using headings on the DG or HSI, using everything else as reference. As such it would be nice to have electronic charts available especially approach plates and VFR charts on a relatively large display so as not to have to flip/fold all that paper. I doubt the current ARNAV display could ever be used for such a purpose due to its resolution.

One thing that would go a long way toward pacifying my current dislike for the display would be if ARNAV would just indicate that a Version II may be in the works and all current transmitters (or what ever the word I am trying to think of) would work on the new version. Right now I just don’t see any motivating force to ever come out with a “Version II”.

It’s just to bad such a great plane has to be wrap around this thing.

Keep the greasy side down and hope to see some of you at OSHKOSH.

Regards M Myers
Is the arnav driving by the no 1 430 and does the same picture show up on the big screen.Such as the approch course line like you see it on the 430 from don

Also the resolution of the ARNAV display as currently installed could be a real handicap in the future.

Mike, the resolution of the Arnav display is fine - it’s just the cruddy software that makes it look cruddy. It’s perfectly capable of displaying decent pictures.

Clyde

Also the resolution of the ARNAV display as currently installed could be a real handicap in the future.

Mike, the resolution of the Arnav display is fine - it’s just the cruddy software that makes it look cruddy. It’s perfectly capable of displaying decent pictures.

Clyde

If this is true then there may be some hope for the Arnav display.

The question is how long to wait for them to get it right. Maybe more important, are they indeed trying to get it right?

Time will tell.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll admit I have alot to learn in this area. I’m still trying to move out of the “steam gauge” era.

M. Myers