Pilotcast #042 -OSH Vidcast #1 - Cirrus - 2006.07.29
Pilotcast Exclusive! Alan Klapmeier, co-founder and president of Cirrus Design joins the Hangar Flying on The Pilotcast with Pilot Kent!
* Alan Klapmeier always thought he would run an airplane company He has realized his life’s dream.
* The Cirrus SR-22 is #1 largest selling single model airplane in the world
* The history of Cirrus Design
o Designed the first airplane in 1979
o Cirrus Design incorporated in 1984
o Its roots are with a kit homebuilt
o Designed and sold
+ A kit aircraft
+ A pressurized turboprop
+ A UAV for the U.S. military
o The Cirrus VK30
+ “…it should have been a jet.”
+ Sold about 40 kits
+ A flying VK30 is featured in the “One Six Right” movie
+ Was high performance but tricky to fly.
o After the VK30 experience, Cirrus decided to focus on an easy to fly, safe design.
* Q: “Will you be producing a jet?”
A: “Yes. Someday!”
* “We now believe we can make a personal jet that is virtually as easy to fly as this airplane.”
* "We don’t have any plans in the Light Sport area."
* Other topics discussed: The new turbocharged SR-22.
* What is Cirrus doing to make it easier to obtain insurance coverage for a Cirrus product?
* The story behind Cirrus aircraft being equipped with a ballistic parachute.
* Why does Cirrus have the Avidyne glass cockpit vs. the more popular ones from Garmin?
* The new Cirrus Access training program for new Cirrus owners with no flying experience.
* New Cirrus financial, warranty and used airplane programs.
Is that verification of a Cirrus jet a scoop for the Pilotcast?
The Pilotcast is the first Aviation Podcast for Pilots, by Pilots.
Think of it as a pilot talk show. Join the hangar flying on The Pilotcast with hosts Pilot Dan, Pilot Kent, and Pilot Mike and the great guest they’ve had including aviation authors, instructors, and fellow pilots including Blue Angel #1, “Boss Foley.”
You can subscribe, listen and view the Pilotcast at