Air Force Test of SR20 and Lancair C300

The Aviation Week issue of 8/6, p.63, has an article listing the planes that the Air Force tested for use in their cadet training program. The SR20 passed all tests. The Lancair failed four: noise, fuel burn, mission suitability and crosswind (20 kt.)

The Aviation Week issue of 8/6, p.63, has an article listing the planes that the Air Force tested for use in their cadet training program. The SR20 passed all tests. The Lancair failed four: noise, fuel burn, mission suitability and crosswind (20 kt.)

Noise and fuel burn due to the larger engine I’m guessing.

Mission – guessing that is about being too much plane to handle

Crosswind – wonder if this has to due with the Rudder limiter. The other 3 would likely be issues for the SR22, but this last one is very interesting indeed.

Do you have more info

Yep, this is reportedly the reason that the first hundred or so SR20 owners got a one page update to the POH, raising the demonstrated crosswind component to 20 or 21 or whatever it was.

I’ve personally landed it with a crosswind component of over 30 knots; the published numbers are studiously conservative, lest idiots like me try to achieve the numbers that the test pilots really saw…

The article said that some planes did not pass the crosswind test because they did not have enough rudder but it did not specifically identify which planes.

Crosswind – wonder if this has to due with the Rudder limiter. The other 3 would likely be issues for the SR22, but this last one is very interesting indeed.

Do you have more info

You can find the rfp results at

http://www.eps.gov/EPSData/USAF/Synopses/479/F0561100R0059/EIFT_data_release.pdf

for just the table, or to peruse the whole file go to

http://www.eps.gov

and enter F0561100R0059 as the solicitation # to search for.

-Curt