Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields website

I love this story on the website about the proprietor of a small airfield outside Auburn, Maine, near where I attended college:

Clarence Dargie recalled of Roland Maheu, “He was the most skillful aerobatic pilot I have ever seen.

In a stock J-3 Cub modified only by hanging a stunt prop on it, he could do square loops off the ground,

roll the airplane on takeoff (although the manufacturer’s flight manual warned pilots not to attempt to roll a J-3) etc.

Flying solo, he would kill the engine, trim the airplane into a shallow glide,

turn the ignition back on when it quit windmilling, get out & prop the engine,

his right foot jammed between the tire & the wheel strut,

holding on the the right cabane strut down near the panel with his left hand.

In this manner, he could swing his body alongside the engine cowl & reach the prop in whatever position it stopped.

He would then prop the engine back into life & climb back in and continue his routine.

The FAA stopped him from doing that stunt after he had performed it at 57 airshows by the summer of 1947.”

Thanks Pierre!

Paul

The historical content on www.airfields-freeman.com continues to grow, with many recent significant submissions of historical material from readers. The site’s total of airfields covered now includes 2,137 airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as Cards Airpark OR, Saugus Field MA, Morgan Field MI, Alexai Point Army Airfield AK, Haydu - Mt Bethel Airport NJ, Dunlap Airfield TN, Martins Creek Airport PA, McGills Ultralight Field AZ, Albany Field GA, Fort Lewis #1 Airfield WA, Skyline Peak Airport NC, and updates to many other articles describing former airfields.

If you have applicable material, particularly pictures, please let me know!

Paul Freeman

www.airfields-freeman.com

Paul,

Thanks for all your work doing this. It brought back great memories of what was then W22 in Northern Virginia where I did my private, instrument, and commercial before it became a townhouse development!

After transitioning the “Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields” website to a new hosting company at the end of last year, I’m happy to report that all of its content (1.3 gigabytes) is now available through a much more robust host.

I’ve also resumed adding new content to the site. Thanks to historical material submitted by readers, the site’s total of airfields covered now includes 2,168airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as Park Ridge Airport IL, Clear Ridge Airport NE, Fernley Airfield NV, Rubinkam Airport IL, Saugatuck-Douglas Airport MI, Iberia Parish Airport LA, Haulover Canal Airfield FL, Bassler Airfield MD, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, please let me know.

And I truly appreciate financial donations, without which the site could not continue.

Paul Freeman

An interesting development for the “Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields” website: I was quoted in an article this month in the New York Times about the fate of airports:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/18/business/municipal-airports-development.html

Thanks to historical material contributed by Kevin Walsh, Ron Plante, Brian Rehwinkel, and hundreds of other aviation history buffs over the past quarter, the “Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields” website’s quantity of material has grown to a total of 2,204airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as Groveton Airfield NH, Elsinore Airport CA, Brightwood Airport IN, Reynolds Field NY, Holley Field FL, Wamsutter Airport WY, Pepeekeo Airstrip HI, Kona Village Resort Airstrip HI, Shippensburg Airport PA, McEnnan Airport MI, Rich Field TX, Payne Field MS, Sky Court Airport NM, Bassler Airfield MD, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, please let me know.

And I truly appreciate financial donations, without which the site could not continue.

Paul Freeman

Great site, Paul! I spent two hours and didn’t even get out of my county!

Thanks much!

Thanks to historical material contributed by Lee Corbin, Kevin Walsh, Ron Plante, Brian Rehwinkel, and hundreds of other aviation history buffs over the past quarter, the “Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields” website’s quantity of material has grown to a total of 2,249airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as Grand River Airpark MI, Maricopa Airport CA, David’s Field MI, Twin City Airport AR, Nottingham Field VA, Steven’s Desert Airport CA, Point Spencer AFB AK, Senia Airport IN, North Augusta Airport SC, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know.

Paul Freeman

We’re driving West through Kansas on I70, towing my little Aerotrek taildragger. Planning to visit Monument Rocks, so I looked for a nearby airport on the Skyvector sectional. Found Gove County, 1QK.

Bizarre. Still shows on sectional. Airnav has a Sept. 2018 photo and describes it as concrete in excellent condition. 4,000 x 60. Look on Google satellite and it’s gone! Plowed farm field with slightly different color shade where the runway was. Buildings gone too.

I plan to launch from nearby Oakley and fly over.

Pierre

Pierre,

I know it’s a rare thing these days, but I’m guessing the airport is new. On Google Earth it looks like the most recent imagery for that area is from 2016.

Just for fun I looked on ForeFlight Aerial Map…

If you have time, can you find navigation to Gove airport? Goggle maps can’t find it.

Plug in 39.04N/100.23W ( from FF ) and google earth will show it as a plowed field

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/article34309488.html

I guess a call to the town is in order as the AirNav picture shows that it was built, but current maps dont show it

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gove+72+%26+Gove+Y,+Baker,+KS+67752/@39.0456998,-100.243898,16.97z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x87a042b760351377:0x885624287e6b3c0a!8m2!3d39.0457587!4d-100.2416194

You’ll be looking for the town of Quinter, KS. Go south at the exit off of 70. First ‘major’ intersection should be Gove Y/Gove 72. Make a left (east) on Y and the airport should be on your right (south) in less than 1/2 mile.

Looks like the entrance to the airport is in the vicinity of the bottom middle of this image. You can see the Quinter exit from 70 at the top.

Cool! I see an airstrip. [:D]

What a great backstory! Air ambulance access.

Brand new airport!