WX & Samsung I700 Phone

Does anyone know if this new phone/PDA from Samsung will handle GPS program and WX from the internet sources. Would like to have it as a backup if needed? Would love to have a reason to buy it—looks great!! :slight_smile:

I think I remember reading that the turbowx product works on that phone/pda. www.turbowx.com is the website, and the owner is a COPA member.

Marty

In reply to:

Does anyone know if this new phone/PDA from Samsung will handle GPS program and WX from the internet sources.

I have no clue, but that has never stopped me from responding! [;)]

I have the Samsung SPH i500, the Palm version of the phone, and I love it. It should work, but I think it would need an expansion slot, so I would ensure that it has one. The i500 does not, but I have not missed it yet.

While the i700 as designed by Samsung is tri-mode, it is specifically limited to digital only for Verizon. It appears Verizon is tryign to limit analog usage on their system. I have also heard that digital coverage is expanding rapidly as is 1X data service.

TurboWX works fairly well on the i700. I am used to DSL so response is sluggish but very usable.

Hopefully we will see an upgrade to Pocket PC 2003 (Windows Mobile 2003 to be precise) in a month or so. I hear Samsung is wrapping up testing but after that we will be dependent on Verizon to offer the upgrade. 2003 offers mail push to the device through SMS so you don’t have to connect and sync over the web to get email.

The i700 has a fully functional card slot (not just data like some phones) so it can take a GPS. However, the slot is on the side instead of the top so it isn’t in the most convenient location to attach something that sticks out.

The case that comes with the i700 is worthless. I recommend the EB Cases one. Also, get the data sysnc cable (MiniSync) form BOXWAVE.COM. It will charge off a USB port and allow the phone to provide web access for a laptop.

Be sure to install the voice recognition software on the CD. The install the update from the software vendor’s web site. Program the record key to start Voice Signal and you can do one handed dialing without looking at the phone. I always dial by voice recognition.

In reply to:

I think I remember reading that the turbowx product works on that phone/pda. www.turbowx.com is the website

I will be purchasing the Samsung SPH-I700 and according to some emails from TurboWx, this phone was highly recommended as an interface to TurboWx.

I have unusual requirements, I’m cheap and I want the best! TurboWx seems like the best trade off between the three choices I’m aware off (AnywhereWX, WXworks and TurboWx), until Avidyne/Cirrus has weather in the cockpit.

I know there’s PilotCast, but I need a new pocketPC anyway.

Walt

seems like good solution for digital service areas only if my prior research of the phone through verizon was correct.

i’d be concerned that at an analog service area, i’d still have pocketpc but no phone!

In reply to:

seems like good solution for digital service areas only if my prior research of the phone through verizon was correct.

i’d be concerned that at an analog service area, id still have pocketpc but no phone!

How has your research determined that Verizon is weak on the Analog side? (Right now it doesn’t matter to me since I still have another 1.5 yrs to go on Alltel, providing excellent coverage for voice across the US, but the data service…isn’t there at all!) I will get the Verizon service mainly for weather. Still cheaper then the other alternatives. (If you’re looking for an interim solution).

Walt

walt,

i didnt mean to imply verizon is weak on the analog side – ive used verizon all over the country and believe they have the best overall coverage. however, there are still many areas which require analog roaming (aka battery sucker holes).

my “research” was that a verizon rep told me the new samsung700 would not function at all in analog areas. i havent verified the statement, just thought id share it before you make any final purchase decision regarding you intented use.

Thanks to all!!

John,

I have the Kyocera 7135 SmartPhone with Verizon. This is a tri mode phone just like the Samsung i600 and i700. The tri mode phones can do voice on the high and low frequency digital bands as well as the old low frequency analog bands (original cell phone frequencies). When roaming a triangle shows up indicating roaming outside of Verizon but I don’t think there is anyway to know if you are in digital or analog country based on the display.

I subscribe to a voice plan and the PDA/Smartphone wireless digital network plan (5mb for $29.99/mo). The high speed digital network is available in most bigger cities. When the high speed is not available you can toggle the SmartPhone to use your voice minutes for internet communication (not very efficient but better than nothing). I have been able to communicate with the internet on the voice side in most areas even roaming. Many times when I have not been able to communicate roaming (with the triangle showing) may have been in areas with weak signal strength. Maybe I was in an “analog hole” then and did not know it. First I have heard that the i700 does not work in the data mode using an analog signal. Analog is on its way out, so it is not a long term worry. Frequency spectrum far to valuable to continue analog service.

One thing I learned flying is to make sure you turn off the Smartphone before takeoff. While aloft the phone goes into a high power search mode for a signal and drains the battery.

Bob
TurboWx

John and Bob,

Thanks for the info.

Walt

Rumor is that Verizon is about to release the Audiovox PPC 5050 SmartPhone.

This Pocket PC based SmartPhone has new Microsoft Mobile 2003 operating system.

No idea how the Samsung i700 will figure into Verizon’s plans

Bob
TurboWx

I have decided to wait for a time to make the investment—to many cool items close to intro! Seems to be an explosion of powerful new handheld devices that would make for a great backup for WX & plates.

In this business if you wait for the next new device, you will wait forever. Theses devices go obsolete in about 6 months.

Bob
TurboWx