Why I did not like John McCain

Okay - It’s all history now (the political primaries) and those of us with republican leanings will vote for Bush. I had an opportunity to meet both a figured George W was the lesser of two evils. I really did not like John McCain but I could not explain why using rational logic.

Now I know. He is a supporter of user fees for aviation (bad bad bad!). Recently he opposed the apointment of AOPA’s president Phil Boyer to the new FAA Management Advisory Council because AOPA opposes user fees.

Here is an excerpt from AOPA’s email newsletter:

Senate Commerce Committee Chairman John McCain has challenged the
appointment of AOPA President Phil Boyer to the new FAA Management
Advisory Council because AOPA opposes user fees. “General aviation
already pays its ‘user fees’ through federal fuel excise taxes,” Boyer

told McCain. “No, we don’t need to impose individual charges for air
traffic control services.” President Bill Clinton nominated Boyer to
be the voice of general aviation pilots and aircraft owners on the
council. The Senate Commerce Committee hearing was part of the
confirmation process for all nominees. In a terse exchange on May 4,
McCain pushed the user fees proposal. Boyer answered that the aviation

trust fund should be funded by the taxes that pilots and aircraft
owners pay when they purchase aviation fuel. McCain then asked MAC
nominees representing the airlines and pilot unions if they were for
user fees. Both supported a “performance-based” system that would
charge a user fee every time an aircraft used ATC services. Because
of AOPA’s continued opposition to user fees, McCain then told Boyer,
“I seriously question your qualifications for this council.”

It’s bad enough we have to export all of our Cirri to Europe :wink: However, we don’t want to import their user fees!

Just thought you might like to know.

Mark

Okay - It’s all history now (the political primaries) and those of us with republican leanings will vote for Bush. I had an opportunity to meet both a figured George W was the lesser of two evils. I really did not like John McCain but I could not explain why using rational logic.

Now I know. He is a supporter of user fees for aviation (bad bad bad!). Recently he opposed the apointment of AOPA’s president Phil Boyer to the new FAA Management Advisory Council because AOPA opposes user fees.

It’s bad enough we have to export all of our Cirri to Europe :wink: However, we don’t want to import their user fees!

Mark

Thanks Mark - and I couldn’t agree with you more… The only difference between us is that I didn’t like him from the beginning!!

Regards,

Gerry

Why didn’t we hear of this before the election?

What a selection we had and still have now.

I’d rather pick from Clinton (Bill) or Dole (Bob) by coin toss than be stuck with W. or Al.

Even they look almost competent though compared to Clinton (Hillary) and Dole (Elizabeth).

The real strength of our system is that it survives the people we elect to office.

Or is it the people who scheme and buy their way into office?

Mark

I too was very disapointed with McCain’s stand. So much so that I wrote him a letter. I’ve received a preliminary response from his office( receipt) and it said that i would get a reply. due to the interest shown here, I’ll post the message.

I do encourage all of you to write or e-mail him and express your opinions.

While not trying to preach tot he choir, I feel we have the perfect ‘user-fees,’ they’re just called fuel taxes. the more you use, the more services you are likely to receive, the more taxes you pay. Simple effective, and low in the bureacracy end. (Ag pilots would disagree, but I hope there are not too many on the site.)

PS. I hate Gore. I actually think he’s worse than Clinton, and my feelings for Clinton are not gentlemanly. Given the opportunity, I would have voted for McCain over Bush: at least he speaks his mind and seems to stand by his convictions. Hopefully he has the capability to rethink his positions - especially this one. Otherwise where can I go?

Even Canada, that commie loving country (just kidding - I don’t even support an export ban to Canada. Holland and Australia definately, but not our good friends to the north.) has user fees now.

Well, I guess I’ll stay, pay for Boyer to stand up for us and pray a lot. :wink:

Marty (#119 and still waiting)

which is no news, because of the following syllogism: I am a journalist; all journalists were charmed by McCain; therefore…

But actually my point is this: maybe Clyde could set up a special, other forum for political arguments, because within Cirrusdom there are likely to be fundamental disagreements about candidates and parties (as contrasted to the basic interest in aviation and new aircraft that otherwise pervades this forum). In that other, segregated forum I could make my basic AOPA point, which is: I don’t want user fees. But if that becomes the standard for judging a candidate, then there are no grounds for criticizing the teachers’ unions, the trial lawyers, the gay-marriage advocates, the gun lobby, the China lobby, the Israel lobby, or anybody else for practicing “single issue” politics.

Of course, maybe this is all a joke, which I’m hyper-seriously missing, like the export ban!

I looked up the vote tally on the user fee bill to see how my Connecticut state senators voted this time and happened to notice that only one senator did not vote at all, McCain.

I thought nothing of it until it was announce at an aviation meeting I attended a few days later that the bill was intentionally brought to vote on that day because it was a crucial one in McCains campaign and he would not be in Washington where he would surely use his clout to try to block it.

Perhaps it’s just prejudice, but like Mark, I have a gut feeling there’s more to this guy than what appears and it’s not good.

Bob B.

Hopefully everybody who reads this page is an AOPA member so people like Boyer can represent us.

EAA is still questionable unless you want to support Paul P’s warbird habit.

Just my opinion!

Even Canada … has user fees now.

So does Australia - AOPA Australia pushed for the removal of the fuel tax, and of course the trade-off for this was user fees. However, it’s a rather different situation here to the USA. A large proportion of Australian aviators never fly in controlled airspace or receive any kind of ATC, but were paying for those services anyway. The fees we pay for en-route ATC apply only to IFR (VFR is free, even in controlled airspace) but all aircraft pay a terminal charge when landing at a field with a control tower. It’s typically about AUS$7 for e.g. a 172 or AA5. The en-route fees are weight based, and are quite trivial for this kind of plane.

In the USA things are a little different, and I am not going to buy into the argument, nor am I going to discuss presidential candidates. I don’t think this is the right place for such issues, anyway.

Do you have to pay for every landing if you are practicing landings at a field with a tower?

Even Canada … has user fees now.

So does Australia - AOPA Australia pushed for the removal of the fuel tax, and of course the trade-off for this was user fees. However, it’s a rather different situation here to the USA. A large proportion of Australian aviators never fly in controlled airspace or receive any kind of ATC, but were paying for those services anyway. The fees we pay for en-route ATC apply only to IFR (VFR is free, even in controlled airspace) but all aircraft pay a terminal charge when landing at a field with a control tower. It’s typically about AUS$7 for e.g. a 172 or AA5. The en-route fees are weight based, and are quite trivial for this kind of plane.

In the USA things are a little different, and I am not going to buy into the argument, nor am I going to discuss presidential candidates. I don’t think this is the right place for such issues, anyway.

Do you have to pay for every landing if you are practicing landings at a field with a tower?

That’s an issue that is being debated at present. No prizes for guessing which point of view the two sides are taking!

I expect the final outcome will be some kind of concessional rate for multiple circuits, along with reduced tower hours and services - my home field is running a trial at present where the ground controller is eliminated, and taxi clearance is no longer required.

which is no news, because of the following syllogism: I am a journalist; all journalists were charmed by McCain; therefore…

But actually my point is this: maybe Clyde could set up a special, other forum for political arguments, because within Cirrusdom there are likely to be fundamental disagreements about candidates and parties (as contrasted to the basic interest in aviation and new aircraft that otherwise pervades this forum). In that other, segregated forum I could make my basic AOPA point, which is: I don’t want user fees. But if that becomes the standard for judging a candidate, then there are no grounds for criticizing the teachers’ unions, the trial lawyers, the gay-marriage advocates, the gun lobby, the China lobby, the Israel lobby, or anybody else for practicing “single issue” politics.

Of course, maybe this is all a joke, which I’m hyper-seriously missing, like the export ban!

Good idea. I pledge to refrain from politics.