VH-CRF in Navex 2000

I flew VH-CRF in Navex 2000, formerly the Sunshine Coast Air Race, which is a 2 day navigation trial that has been run for the last 15 years. The SR20 attracted an enormous amount of interest, not only from the 30 other crews entered but also from many people at each stop.

The Navex has 3 half-day flights, each with about 15 turning points, and a swag of questions to answer along the way. Fortunately GPS was permitted this year for the first time, and I made good use of the GPS and autopilot. The dual 430’s came in handy for one leg which was a 20-mile arc around a point.

The superb visibility was a big plus - I think we would have had a good chance at the prizes except that I had to skip the third flight since I had to return home for my son’s 13th birthday - which involved climbing a mountain, but that’s another story.

I was quite surprised at how many people knew what the plane was - one guy practically kissed the tarmac in front of it, proclaiming that he had read so much about the SR20 and had never expected to see one for real. Several people indicated they were seriously considering putting down a deposit.

One thing I must say right now - this is the most comfortable plane I have ever flown! I flew about 6 hours on Friday, most of it VFR at low level with lots of course changes, then a night IFR flight home in bumpy CUs. Any other plane, I would have been dead-beat at the end of the day, but not this time. I think it’s the combination of the roomy cabin, the seats, the side-stick, the trim and the good autopilot. The only hard part is getting down.

Enough for now, I could go on and on.