VFR Weather

I have really been enjoying reading the trip reports and stories about flying the SR20, in the various areas of the US. Here’s a tough question, not exactly about the SR20, but at least it ain’t politics! Does anyone know where along which coast of the US one can expect to find the best (and most abundant) VFR weather? Average number of VFR days by county or something? I figure since I’m not instrument rated, that when I do get my SR20, I’d like to move to an area where I can fly it often!

I have really been enjoying reading the trip reports and stories about flying the SR20, in the various areas of the US. Here’s a tough question, not exactly about the SR20, but at least it ain’t politics! Does anyone know where along which coast of the US one can expect to find the best (and most abundant) VFR weather? Average number of VFR days by county or something? I figure since I’m not instrument rated, that when I do get my SR20, I’d like to move to an area where I can fly it often!

Unscientifically, if you want to stay near the coasts, yo’d probably be best off looking at southern CA and southern Florida. I’m partial to florida.

I’m also jealous of your opportunity to choose.

Does anyone know where along which coast of the US one can expect to find the best (and most abundant) VFR weather?

why stop at the US coasts? Queensland, Australia has terrific flying weather - a lot like Florida but not so crowded.

Out here, southern CA has a lot of VFR days, especially if you’re a bit inland (Hemet, French Valley, Riverside, Ontario, etc.)

Other places to consider in the west: Nevada, central/southern Arizona, eastern Oregon & Washington. All an easy hop to the coast by SR20.

If my work were portable I personally would choose south/southwestern Utah, northern/central AZ (Page or Sedona) or a foothill community in the Sierra Nevada–Grass Valley for example.

Best of all, by all means get the IFR rating. You’ll be glad you did, even if you don’t routinely spend a lot of time looking at the inside of clouds. IFR in an SR20 should be much easier than in the usual GA plane.

I’m also jealous of your opportunity to choose.

Well unfortunately, I’d still need to find work, buy at least the nest is empty.