Tach Time

It’s the Garmin 327 transponder. Memory holds at least until you power off the avionics. Don’t know if it holds until the next flight cycle, I’ve never checked … but I do know it holds the old squawk code, so I surmise it holds the ET until the next cycle as well. Anybody know for sure, or do I have another “get to know your airplane” job to do on my next flight?

ET resets to 00:00 each time ground speed ( via GPS) falls under 30 nm/hr - will even do this if you slow way down long enough during touch & go’s.
Randy
N2525P
SR20

In reply to:

ET resets to 00:00 each time ground speed ( via GPS) falls under 30 nm/hr…

Hmm… not on mine. I routinely look at the ET just before I shut down on the ramp.

It may be an option in the setup of the GTX327 (see the GTX 327 Installation Manual). I couldn’t find a specific option for it, but it could be that the Delay Time setting is what’s different between our units. This governs how long the unit takes (after slowing down) to switch to SBY mode… could be the same setting for clearing ET. Or maybe the setting really is there, and I’m being blind. Wouldn’t be the first time.

Mike.

Not on mine. Its still on, holding the ET, but not running, right before I switch off the avionics master (that’s when I read it to make the log entry).

Hmm… not on mine. I routinely look at the ET just before I shut down on the ramp.

It could be resetting when you go above 30. That would make both of you right.

Mike, are you sure you’re not looking at the flight time? That’s the one that starts at 30 mph and stops at below 30 on the landing roll. I think there is an elapsed time function as well that I’ve never used. Perhaps it starts when the avionics are switched on. I’ll check the next time I fly. (I could look it up in the manual but this gives me an excuse to fly - as if I needed one).

Mike…help!
What the heck is an "ET’ as it relates to the transponder. I am aware of an ET on the Davtron and of the cosmos ‘ET’
Thanks

I think I’ll stand corrected. Art, I think you’re right, it displays the (stopped) flight time until again on the roll and GS exceeds 30 knots, then it resets to zero. Flying tomarrow, again, to the service center (Art-know the feeling?), will check it out.
Randy

In reply to:

Mike, are you sure you’re not looking at the flight time? That’s the one that starts at 30 mph and stops at below 30 on the landing roll. I think there is an elapsed time function as well that I’ve never used. Perhaps it starts when the avionics are switched on. I’ll check the next time I fly. (I could look it up in the manual but this gives me an excuse to fly - as if I needed one).

Jerry,

I am, in fact, looking at the Flight Time. I was working on the assumption that we were talking about that when we said “ET”. I just checked the manual (it’s available online, here), and can find only the following functions:

Pressure Altitude
Flight Time
Count Up Timer (Controlled manually with the Start/Stop/CLR keys)
Count Down Timer (Controlled manually, as above)
Contrast (Only if MANUAL CONTRAST selected in setup)
Display (Only if MANUAL BACKLIGHTING selected in setup)

There’s a good chance I’m wrong… so I think you need to go fly, to determine this for sure. [;)]

Mike.

In reply to:

Mike…help!
What the heck is an "ET’ as it relates to the transponder. I am aware of an ET on the Davtron and of the cosmos ‘ET’
Thanks

Don,

ET here is the same as on the Davtron - “Elapsed Time” (at least, that’s what I’m thinking of).

I’m just about to say this in response to Jerry’s post… I don’t believe there is such a timer in the GTX327. See that post for more.

Mike.

Nope, you’re right. There is no ET function on the Garmin, just on the clock. I use the FT function but have never used the counters.

Sorry Mike, et. al.:

The flight time / elapsed time mix up came originally from me. I used the terms interchangeably in my post on tach time, when describing using the transponder’s automatic flight timer function instead of an airswitch-activated hobbs meter for logging the equivalent to tach time.