Starting

B. F. Skinner did an experiment with pigeons that provided purely random rewards. The random rewards created “superstitious behavior” by reinforcing whatever action the bird was doing at the time of the reward. If the pigeons were smarter, I am sure each one would have been convinced that they had the best method of triggering the reward. Cirrus has apparently performed the same experiment on it customers with their difficult to start airplanes and is now observing the extraordinary resulting behavior.

Art,

Be on the watch for us “pigeons” overhead.

My 1999 182S had a worse dispatch relaibility than my friend’s 25 year old 182. I will be very upset with Cirrus if my SR22 does not do better than the Cessna.

I certainly wish you luck, but I can’t believe your problems with the 182 were as bad as mine. In the first year the plane has made 25 trips to the service center. Since the service center now requires 2 to 3 weeks advance notice for an appointment, during the last 4 months because of problems with flaps, autopilot, turn coordinator, starting problems, and various SB’s, with 2 pilots the plane has only flown 10 hours.