Sr22 realistic altitude performance

My interpretation is that, for example, the climb rate at 10,000 ft is given as 803 fpm for a standard temperature (-5C). According to the note, if the temperature at 10,000 ft were +25C I would add****20% and the aircraft would climb at 964 fpm. The POH for my G3 (Figure 5-13) actually shows a lower rate of climb as the temp increases. It looks like the table should tell you to subtract 10% for every 10 C increase in temperature. Correct?

1 Like

No.

The table is for Time, Distance and Fuel to Climb.

While the ROC is given, you ADD 10% to the amount of time it takes to climb, the amount of fuel it takes to climb and the distance you cover during the climb to the values given in the table.

If you want to know about rate of climb you use the rate of climb table which is on a separate page.

BTDT ! [:|] been out of Addison a couple of times, not all that bad, except for this one controllerā€¦ [:#]

Very true ā€“ the best defense is early morning departures ā€“ if am flying east to west, I plan my departure so i arrive as far west as I can get, just shy of the high country - say Amarillo or Albuquerque ā€“ with a wake up call 1 hr before sunriseā€¦west to east ā€“ pretty much the same wake up call and departure at or near sun-up ā€“ that way I am over and out of the high country by noon with nary a bump!

That 3 hours of moderate turbulence occurred in the afternoon. And, I learned about flying from that!

Agreed, John- Mornings over the Rockies are usually the calmest, unless there is a cold front moving thru the region.

But as I live on the West Slope, thee have been numerous times when traveling home from somewhere in the East, that i reach the Rockies by mid-afternoon. Often by then, the afternoon winds are up and there is considerable convection building directly over the Ridges. One very workable solution is to put down just East of the Rocks, KCOS (Colorado Springs) or KAPP (Centennial) or perhaps KGXY (Greeley) grab a courtesy car, go have an early dinner, and fly Late Afternoon, as Wind and Weather start receeding in the last 2-3 hours of the afternoon.

In my case, iā€™ve less than an hour flight from any of those fields to reach home airport, so a late evening flight works out well for myself. I donā€™t necessarily recommend someone landing after dark in a Mountain Airport, UNLESS you are very familiar with it and the surrounding terrain. Nightime creates Mtn Obscuration just as easily as convection.