Some Cirrus AvWeb humor

While searching for gay puppies, I came across this relevant bit of COPA history. The thread involves some of our most senior members talking about (and talking against talking about at least on this forum) politics. It goes way back to 2000 and SR20.org. [:)]

In reply to:

Really? I missed that one.

Here’s the photo that got me in trouble:

Well, it was actually the caption, but I’m not going to provoke the admins!
1-105189-Benji.jpg

In reply to:

Here’s the photo that got me in trouble:

In reply to:

Well, it was actually the caption, but I’m not going to provoke the admins!

Ya know, during my gay puppy search I did find that photo (along with a post that I don’t want to admit to having written although I am proud that I actually put a photo in the correct spot), but all I saw was “…politically correct version follows:” Come on, how about throwing a dog, er, guy a bone in a private message. I’m too tired for even the demented part of my brain to bridge the gap and figure out what the caption said based on that photo. It must have been hilarious.

In reply to:

Come on, how about throwing a dog, er, guy a bone

Ed, you read my mind 45 minutes before I made the above comment. I just read the email. Very funny! [:D] Thanks.

The Pilot/Controller Glossary did leave open possible uses of TAS. When they say “flight planning and enroute” I think they’re referring to the times you might be giving a flight plan (which calls for TAS) or when you need to use TAS in calculations.

AIM 4-4-11(b) - ATC will express all speed adjustments in terms of knots based on indicated airspeed (IAS) in 10 knot increments.

It goes on say that Mach numbers can be used for turbojet aircraft with Mach meters.

I think in your reply to ATC, “I’m indicating 155 kts” (or whatever) would have been the perfectly proper reply when asked for “airspeed”. If you wanted to “ahow off” you could have confirmed their GS estimate.

Let me repeat that, in general, if ATC says “airspeed” they mean IAS unless otherwise specified.

I’ve never been asked for True Airspeed, but I have been surprised by requests for Groundspeed. When asked for airspeed, I aways reply “xxxx Indicated” just to be sure we’re all on the same page.

In reply to:

When asked for airspeed, I aways reply “xxxx Indicated” just to be sure we’re all on the same page.

That’s exactly what I do, although I am usually only seeing an IAS where I can use three of those “x’s” in Curt’s example (e.g., 180 Kts. vs. 1,800 Kts.). [:)] Maybe if I go downhill real fast.