Some Cirrus AvWeb humor

Courtesy of http://www.avweb.com - from their “Short Final” section (#49)

“Overheard while flying east from Dayton… Approach: Cirrus 123, whatÂ’s your speed? Cirrus 123: Now showing 200kts over the ground on the GPS. Unknown Pilot on Frequency: ThatÂ’s one fast-moving cloud!”

In order to keep my ACOPA membership active:

ATC requests are for IAS only. They could care less about TAS and GS.

Sounds like that Cirrus pilot was ahowing off (easy to do!)

Ed,

In the interest of keeping your ACOPA membership active, please explain what “ahowing off” is and how it is easy to do. [;)]

Eddie…regarding which speed ATC wants…I recall often being asked for TAS…and sometimes just “what’s your airspeed.” Are you saying that they generally want only IAS, unless they specifically ask for TAS, or that they never have use for TAS? Out of habit, I usually give them TAS, whether they specifically request it or not. Is this incorrect?

Not completely accurate. An actual conversation between Atlanta ATC and myself.

ATL: 913CD could you confirm airspeed. We have you at 180 kts.

Me: Affirmative. We also show 180 ground speed. There isn’t much wind up here.

ATL: Fast plane.

I can assure you they weren’t measuring my indicated airspeed since at 10,000’ it was way less than 180. :wink:

In reply to:

please explain what “ahowing off”

From Webster’s (rev 1999):

“ahowing off” - from “anal showing off” - verb, to show off anally, i.e., “The pilot was “ahowing off” when he bragged about his groundspeed”.

You’ve heard the term before, right?

(that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!)

In reply to:

“ahowing off” - from “anal showing off” - verb, to show off anally, i.e., “The pilot was “ahowing off” when he bragged about his groundspeed”.

Is this what you mean by “ahowing off”
Geez . . . talk about “Rocket Man”

In reply to:

“ahowing off” - from “anal showing off” - verb, to show off anally, i.e.,

I try to avoid showing off my anus as I don’t want to attract that kind of attention. On the other hand, an occasional full moon has been spotted in my direction. [:D]

In reply to:

Good save!

In reply to:

Is this what you mean by “ahowing off”
Geez . . . talk about “Rocket Man”

That’s me after Taco Bell. [:$]

So that’s what it’s come to:
Fart and butt humor.
If it’s all the same to you guys, I am going back to the member side of the forum, where we talk about only aviation.
(snicker snicker)

In reply to:

If it’s all the same to you guys, I am going back to the member side of the forum, where we talk about only aviation.

Yeah, if we could only be so mature on this side. [:D]

From the Pilot/Controller Glossary in the AIM:

In reply to:

AIRSPEED- The speed of an aircraft relative to its surrounding air mass. The unqualified term “airspeed” means one of the following:

a. Indicated Airspeed- The speed shown on the aircraft airspeed indicator. This is the speed used in pilot/controller communications under the general term “airspeed.”

(Refer to 14 CFR Part 1.)

b. True Airspeed- The airspeed of an aircraft relative to undisturbed air. Used primarily in flight planning and en route portion of flight. When used in pilot/controller communications, it is referred to as “true airspeed” and not shortened to “airspeed.”

In general, they want IAS. Don’t forget, those poor souls without Garmins or PFDs would have to pull out their E6B’s and line up pressure altitude and temperature to even know what their TAS is at any moment.

It appears from the above that a controller MIGHT ask for TAS, but must specifically do so. I don’t recall ever being asked for my TAS. The airpseed limits in 91.117 are also IAS

Thanks for the CFR reference. As I thought about my previous post, it is more likely that I heard requests for true airspeed being made to the airliners and faster planes, than to me.

In reply to:

From the Pilot/Controller Glossary in the AIM:
In general, they want IAS. Don’t forget, those poor souls without Garmins or PFDs would have to pull out their E6B’s and line up pressure altitude and temperature to even know what their TAS is at any moment.
It appears from the above that a controller MIGHT ask for TAS, but must specifically do so. I don’t recall ever being asked for my TAS. The airpseed limits in 91.117 are also IAS

I agree that ATC refers to IAS, but I contend that they don’t fully understand the relationship between IAS, TAS and ground speed.

I’ve been told to ‘slow down to 150kt’ a handful of times and my IAS was slightly below that, but my GS was a bit faster than 150kts. My understanding is that the radar screen just shows them GS.

Jerry

Even Google wonders if you meant “showing off” [:D]

P.S. I’m telling that you posted a link to www.c*m-in-me.com (“Babe Showing Off”) [:D]

In reply to:

P.S. I’m telling that you posted a link…

I saw that after I posted. I thought about “redacting” the link but it was too late to edit the graphic.

I’m a little gun-shy after being admonished for a “gay puppy” reference a while back.

But the relevant part of the link was the “abe ahowing off” anyway!

In reply to:

I’m a little gun-shy after being admonished for a “gay puppy” reference a while back.

Really? I missed that one. Anyway, everybody knows (although some are in denial) that some male dogs like other male dogs over–dare I say, well on a typical day I wouldnÂ’t think it but IÂ’m really tired and my discretion is gone with the breeze although I know IÂ’ll regret it when I wake-up tomorrow and find a ton of nasty but justified private messages oh what the heck–bitches.

I think the true controversy lies in whether puppies are born that way or are affected by domineering mommy dogs combined with neutered (figuratively and literally) daddy dogs leading to confused identity–a topic which I believe is ever so slightly outside the boundaries of on-topic discussion on the COPA forums.

I donÂ’t think you have anything to worry about because the website–www.c*m-in-me.com that you posted so weÂ’d all go visit it because you are in cahoots with Ronald Stevens and profiting off of it–could swing either way (going by the models who are named “Babe” and “Abe”).

Disclaimer: Ed Benson (other than being a long-time member) and Ronald Stevens have absolutely nothing to do with www.c*m-in-me.com. Dennis, I may need your help on this one. Can I plead insanity? I think that would be believable to everyone here–especially since itÂ’s likely true. [:S]