Safety

SAFETY is relative.

There is no such thing as absolute safety. It is only measured by the relative amounts of risk.

• Most heart attacks occur waking up.
  • The bathroom is statistically the most dangerous room in the house.
  • Smoking has been linked to a variety of life threatening and shortening maladies.

Should we not wake up in the morning? If not, what are the alternatives? Avoid the bathroom? My friends and co-workers would vote "no’ on that one and suggest the risk is well worth it! When we choose to fly we subject ourselves to incremental levels or risk. How we manage it is up to us.

Oh, I forgot one: About 50% of all marriages in the U.S. end in divorce. The other 50% end in death! (Just goes to show you that as a very wise friend of mine once said, “Statistics are like bikinis: What the reveal is interesting and what the conceal is vital!”

Marty,
I prefer ‘the vital parts’!

In reply to:

Should we not wake up in the morning? If not, what are the alternatives? Avoid the bathroom?

Marty,

Another example of this. About 10 years ago, I was in Sweden when a train derailed somewhere in Norway. The Swede’s tell jokes about the Norwegians (mercilessly), and vice versa.

The story going around Stockholm was that following the train accident, the Norwegian Minister of Transportation found a statistic that proved that in train wrecks, the majority of injuries and deaths were sustained by passengers traveling in the last car of the train. In a completely logical attempt to improve the stats, he proposed a bill that the last car be removed from every train…

[;)]

Mike.

I’ll do my part. I guarantee that I will never wear a bikini!

‘most men’ thank you! Don’t worry, the last time I have worn a bikini is never!