Realtime data on other aircraft (TCAS)

Forget about “Realtime” data on other aircraft in proximity. You only want information and location on other aircraft closer than 5 miles…otherwise it will make you crazy every time you hear the bell. I have flown with TCAS and it there is NO WAY you will receive reliable data (fast enough) from a up or downlink. It just happens too fast to rely on a data transmission from the other aircraft to a ground station, then to a computer, then back up to your aircraft. FORGETABOUTIT. Wx data 5 to 7 mins old is OK, but not TCAS or even lightning. Trust me on this.

Denis N726CD

Forget about “Realtime” data on other aircraft in proximity. You only want information and location on other aircraft closer than 5 miles…otherwise it will make you crazy every time you hear the bell. I have flown with TCAS and it there is NO WAY you will receive reliable data (fast enough) from a up or downlink. It just happens too fast to rely on a data transmission from the other aircraft to a ground station, then to a computer, then back up to your aircraft. FORGETABOUTIT. Wx data 5 to 7 mins old is OK, but not TCAS or even lightning. Trust me on this.

Denis N726CD

what about some of these passive tcas units that one reads about. They passively sense transponder signals up to 10 nm enroute and smaller distances terminal. They are fairly cheap.