Question

I got a tour of the plant with the fuselage production.Saw a fuselage in the paint/prep shop.I did not know so much bondo material was used on it.Looked like a good 20% of the fuselage was bondo’d up before paint.Is this the usual for all composite aircraft? They do come out pretty smooth as I ran my hand across it.Will this type of body filler last for 20 years?

I got a tour of the plant with the fuselage production.Saw a fuselage in the paint/prep shop.I did not know so much bondo material was used on it.Looked like a good 20% of the fuselage was bondo’d up before paint.Is this the usual for all composite aircraft? They do come out pretty smooth as I ran my hand across it.Will this type of body filler last for 20 years?

This sounds like another bogus email. The address is a hotmail.com email account. We may want to think about having folks register to be a part of the forum.

Not only is the address a hot mail address but it is listed as “grizzdawg@hotmail.com”. Someone out there has way too much time on their hands and a twisted sense of humor.

In fact, there was a post some while ago about an unauthorized filling of a composite grinding error and Cirrus sent a factory rep to the
owner(s) of the aircraft in question to make a proper repair just to ensure that there would not be any future failure of the surface paint from a filled repair.

Whoever “grizzdawg” really is should find an easier audience to try to fool.

This sounds like another bogus email. The address is a hotmail.com email account. We may want to think about having folks register to be a part of the forum.

I was at the duluth factory and i did not see any bondo from my perspective but I an not an expert im in concrete and that is what i know what to lok for and what will last from Don

I’m not fooling anybody.Go to the plant and look for yourself.I have never seen a new product that needed so much of that stuff in my life.Go request a tour and you’ll see.I was very surprised.I’d be ashamed if my old pickup had that much cover up.

I have not taken the tour, but I would guess to say what this people have seen is what is used to fill the fiberglass prior to paint. On a regular metal surface we use primer. On a bare fiberglass we use something called Micromash, Microflux, (there are many different names for this), fiberglass is not as smooth as metal, to have a nice smooth surface this is applied and sanded several times, what we are talking about is extremely small amounts, this is why it is called MICRO, the amount that is needed is about half of a hair’s thickness. It is not bondo. This sticks to fiberglass better then super glue sticks to your finger. Just an example, if you were to take a completed piece of fiberglass painted, and break it in half by bending, this micromash would not come out of the fiberglass, it is there for life. I believe this is what this people have seen, keeping in mind we are talking of a “modern” way of producing a smooth surface NOT bondo. Take a look at a piece of raw fiberglass and you will understand that it needs something to make it smooth. Nothing bad or wrong about this, just the necessary process. In the mean time rest well, your Cirrus is in good hands at the factory.

Cheers,

Woor

I’m not fooling anybody.Go to the plant and look for yourself.I have never seen a new product that needed so much of that stuff in my life.Go request a tour and you’ll see.I was very surprised.I’d be ashamed if my old pickup had that much cover up.

Reese,

What’s the problem with identifying yourself in a forthcoming manner like everybody else? When did you visit the plant, and who conducted the tour for you? And why didn’t you inquire of the people at the plant about your concern re the “bondo” you think you saw?

They are the logical people to explain to you what is going on and why they do what they do. After a full explanation from them, you could have performed a positive and constructive service to this forum by then explaining the facts rather than generating potentially false and unsupported allegations based upon obsevations that may or may not be valid.

For your information, I too devoted a day to a complete tour of the plant with Dick Loynachan on November 20th, who not only explained and showed me each step in the manufacturing process, but also introduced me to six of their key personnel, each of whom gladly and fully responded to all of my questions. At no time did I get the impression that anyone was less than candid and complete in those responses. Also, I saw no evidence of the extensive use of “bondo” as you suggest.

Full details and a forthcoming manner will establish your credibility, if that’s important to you.

Pete

I’m not fooling anybody.

Then why use a phony email address? From hotmail’s directory just now:

“ERROR: The address “grizzdawg@hotmail.com” does not exist.”

I have not taken the tour, but I would guess to say what this people have seen is what is used to fill the fiberglass prior to paint. On a regular metal surface we use primer. On a bare fiberglass we use something called Micromash, Microflux, (there are many different names for this), fiberglass is not as smooth as metal, to have a nice smooth surface this is applied and sanded several times, what we are talking about is extremely small amounts, this is why it is called MICRO, the amount that is needed is about half of a hair’s thickness. It is not bondo. This sticks to fiberglass better then super glue sticks to your finger. Just an example, if you were to take a completed piece of fiberglass painted, and break it in half by bending, this micromash would not come out of the fiberglass, it is there for life. I believe this is what this people have seen, keeping in mind we are talking of a “modern” way of producing a smooth surface NOT bondo. Take a look at a piece of raw fiberglass and you will understand that it needs something to make it smooth. Nothing bad or wrong about this, just the necessary process. In the mean time rest well, your Cirrus is in good hands at the factory.

Cheers,

Woor Woor , perfect explanation. I saw the same effect at the Piper plant at the place where they were finishing the composite cowls.>

btw woor, I’m trying to send you an email since a week or so,

but woor@ntezero.com isn’t working ?!? :wink:

bye, wilfried

Hello Wilfried,

I am sorry but I guess my fingers were too fast and I did not have the email correct. Here is the correct way.

woor@netzero.com or pilot4hire@bigfoot.com

Sorry about that. No wonder why I have not being getting mail… Have a great day… Cirrus day that is…

Woor

btw woor, I’m trying to send you an email since a week or so,

but woor@ntezero.com isn’t working ?!? :wink:

bye, wilfried