Primitive battery is out of place in this aircraft

The battery installed by CD in the SR20 might save them $20 to $30, weighs 1.5 pounds more, and needs probably another .5 to 1 pound for its drain.

A modern recombinant gas technology battery could have saved a couple of pounds and simplified the manufacturing and documentation of the aircraft.

It would also give better service through longer life and no maintenance.

Plus it holds its charge much better when not used for a period of time.

If I could purchase useful load for $10 to $15 a pound with no additional fuel consumption, I’d gladly purchase 300 or 400 pounds worth right now.

It’s even more a pity if they are using the old lead antimony battery in the no vacuum SR22.

The “new” recombinant gas technology (lead calcium) is what has been called low-maintenance and no-maintenance (sealed) and has been around for years in automobiles.

The battery installed by CD in the SR20 might save them $20 to $30, weighs 1.5 pounds more, and needs probably another .5 to 1 pound for its drain.

A modern recombinant gas technology battery could have saved a couple of pounds and simplified the manufacturing and documentation of the aircraft.

If I could purchase useful load for $10 to $15 a pound with no additional fuel consumption, I’d gladly purchase 300 or 400 pounds worth right now.

It’s even more a pity if they are using the old lead antimony battery in the no vacuum SR22.

The “new” recombinant gas technology (lead calcium) is what has been called low-maintenance and no-maintenance (sealed) and has been around for years in automobiles.

Pardon my naivete, but couldn’t it be swapped out? …or would this require an STC?

Are 28V lead calcium batteries available?

Who would care if you swapped it out yourself? The phantom FAA police?

Anonymous for obvious stealth purposes

It can be swapped out but would require an A&P mechanic to redo the weight and balance and file a 337 form with the FAA.

It would probably cost at least $300 to $400 ($230 + shipping for the battery).

The FAA response could vary in different regions.

They might object to the drain paraphernalia being removed or require a placard to warn that it must be replaced if a non-sealed battery is later installed.

If the factory approved an installation it would be a lot easier.

Pardon my naivete, but couldn’t it be swapped out? …or would this require an STC?

Are 28V lead calcium batteries available?