Parts of N142CD arrive in Australia

Well, there is a little bit of an SR20 in Australia - the seats and co-pilot’s door trim have arrived (via airfreight). Now we just need the rest of it…

Just put the seat on the floor and sit in it.Then make vroom vroom sounds, whiel turn the imaginary stick. You’ll feel better.

Well, there is a little bit of an SR20 in Australia - the seats and co-pilot’s door trim have arrived (via airfreight). Now we just need the rest of it…

Just put the seat on the floor and sit in it.Then make vroom vroom sounds, whiel turn the imaginary stick. You’ll feel better.

That’s what I do except I have not been able to simulate the sound of a Continental with low compression getting ready to ring off a crankshaft. I don’t think its vroom vroom ;).

(Just kidding…at least I am avoiding political subjects and not giving Reza a hard time)

Anyone heard from Walt recently?

I miss him and his comments.

Mark

Anyone heard from Walt recently?

Yes, Walt sent me some pictures of N142CD, and the fly-in at San Luis Obispo, but I think he’s too busy with his new digital camera to write much :slight_smile:

The pictures are on the Pix page, and some comments he made about various things follow:

-------------------- From Walt -----------

I am going to take it easy on you by being somewhat selective on what I am sending, but here is the latest batch from a trip from MRY to El Dorado, Kansas. The trip which was 2,939 miles including demo rides etc. had an average ground speed of 137.4 knots. That equals to 21.39 hours of flying!!! We had a blast traveling through the Rockies and never had a problem.

Kevin Moore, a current position holder, decided to buy a C182 that had been modified. Modified is a gross understatement. His plane is a Peterson STOL conversion will take off and land in 400 FEET! It flys at 153 TAS and burns about 13 gph. This is one amazing plane. The Peterson’s modify a stock C182 by completely redoing it. They repaint, install a 260 hp engine, and install a carnard that allows the plane to lift the nose off the ground in FIVE FEET! It can be airborne in less than 400’ … actually it is 390 feet. Given the

performance of this plane I doubt that Kevin will go ahead with a Cirrus. We’ll see.

Kevin and I flew east to El Dorado, KS. Kevin flew out and we were high, hot, and heavy. We dragged our golf clubs and ran into to extremely hot wx. Performance suffered as a result. Cooling was a problem. The temps were close to red line on a couple of occasions. We simply increased airspeed to adjust, which resulted in a very slow climb. The good news is we made it fine, but I was disappointed in the overall performance.

I was also somewhat concerned about compression given all that was going on with Rob Leach and the trip across the water. I had mine checked at Peterson’s, who is an outstanding mechanic and runs a great shop with his wife Mary Jo. Incidentally both are aerobatic airshow pilots in addition to being the complete workforce that puts out this wonderful plane. Anyway the compression on my plane was taken when the engine was hot … which is the way to take compression readings … was 73/80, 70/80, 72/80, 73/80, 73/80, and 72/80. I was pleased. There is always some feeling that something could be wrong when your performance was not that great, but as it turns it out it was because we were HIGH, HOT, and HEAVY.

From Walt
I had mine checked at Peterson’s, who is an outstanding mechanic and runs a great shop with his wife Mary Jo. Incidentally both are aerobatic airshow pilots in addition to being the complete workforce that puts out this wonderful plane. Anyway the compression on my plane was taken when the engine was hot … which is the way to take compression readings … was 73/80, 70/80, 72/80, 73/80, 73/80, and 72/80. I was pleased. There is always some feeling that something could be wrong when your performance was not that great, but as it turns it out it was because we were HIGH, HOT, and HEAVY.

Hmmm. Are compressions in the low 70’s good? I’ve got 2400 hours on a Lycoming O-320 and all four cylinders are in the 70 - 72 range, and this is the lowest they’ve ever been. I know these readings are great for an engine well past TBO, but are they good for an engine with 300 - 400 hours?

Hmmm. Are compressions in the low 70’s good? I’ve got 2400 hours on a Lycoming O-320 and all four cylinders are in the 70 - 72 range, and this is the lowest they’ve ever been. I know these readings are great for an engine well past TBO, but are they good for an engine with 300 - 400 hours?

When I talked to the engineer in Hayward who was checking out our engine, he said that low 70’s was normal, and low 60’s would be marginal, anything below that would be unacceptable.

I would like to learn more about the Peterson work. Where would I do so? What does a conversion cost?

Thanks,

I would like to learn more about the Peterson work. Where would I do so? What does a conversion cost?

Go to http://www.260se.com/index.htmlhttp://www.260se.com/index.html for full details. Sounds like a neat plane.

I will post some commentary in a day or two on my experiences with the new 260se/stol. The short version: It’s a delight to fly, very comfortable, and I can support every single claim made in the Petersons’ advertising.

Kevin Moore #249

Thanks,