Now here is a beauty - but why so expensive

But why pay $420k ??? When a wider cabin and similar performance is available at a substantially lower price? NOTE: No ice protection either.
http://www.aso.com/i.aso/AdView.jsp?aircraft_id=79110&profile_id=15217&autonoto_id=886385969735620471
On the other hand, I bet this would make a better “mile high club” aircraft. (no center consol

also no skywatch.

Are the PFD and the MFD taller and more narrow than ours. Looks odd? Don

But there is a proper oxygen solution, speed brakes, a heck of a lot more range, a bit more more speed, a stronger airframe, higher Vfe and Vne speeds, higher quality build and a beautiful appearance. BTW, the cabin is as wide as in a SR22.

Unfortunately though, there is a centre console, so we’re awaiting your position reports as to how to handle that drawback. :-))

…and, need we say it, no CHUTE!
I am, however, interested in the spec sheet entry “Weather Datalink Interface.” Does this mean that our Lancair brethren with Avidyne MFD already have cockpit NEXRAD? Now, that would bestow braggin’ rights!

Or maybe this is the MFD equivalent of “WAAS-capable?”

–Michael

All that money and you have to mess with the prop…Ed

But there is a proper oxygen solution, speed brakes, a heck of a lot more range, a bit more more speed, a stronger airframe, higher Vfe and Vne speeds, higher quality build and a beautiful appearance. BTW, the cabin is as wide as in a SR22.

Proper oxygen solution-check, got that

Speed brakes-haven’t needed 'em yet, a little planning takes care of it

Lot more range-well, the 350 might have that one, don’t know

Stronger airframe-the 350 will need it, it doesn’t have a parachute

Higher Vfe and Vne-well, there was a time or two I would have liked to put the flaps out a little sooner, no big deal though. Higher Vne-never have needed it.

Higher build quality-clearly subjective, don’t think Lancair is mass producing at high enough quantities to really know what the quality will be like on a large scale. Everyone of them is still pretty much hand built.

Beautiful appearance-well, the 350 is a pretty plane, but nothing compared to my -22[:)]

Cabin as wide as a Cirrus-OK

And it is only $50,000 more with less equipment than a fully loaded, new SR22.

All that money and you have to mess with the prop…

Ed,

Thanks! After two years of flying only our SR20, I was staring at the picture, trying to remember what that funny blue knob was for…

Cheers,
Roger

Don,

Either one can be installed in portrait or landscape. It does seem a little weird, though.

There is a rumor the the reason the PFD is mounted vertically was a subversive plot by Cirrus advertising department in conjunction with Plane & Pilot Mag, so as to allow new owners to read about the latest Cirrus during long flights.

screens are same size… but its actually a better overall layout when the backup guages are considered. in fact the demo i flew was a great plane – with the weather datalink, flight director, and autopilot annuciators on screen. high prop clearance, much quieter inside with inflatable door seals, and utility category, etc… so why didnt i buy?

1. value. without tks or skywatch still a big premium ($40k)
  2. birth pains. lancair has many growth pains ahead that im hoping cirrus has learned from.
  3. COPA… this is best forum in GA (nice work, guys)
  4. okay this may be silly, i really liked the doors on lancair smooth and positive latching BUT the idea of opening a door in flight to vent if needed is comforting (as much as i hate the thought of my cirrus door popping open in flight as i have had happen twice in bonanza), which is impossible/dangerous should it open on the 350.

Actually, the higher maneuvering speed I found very nice and there was definitely a more solid feel to the airframe. The Columbia is also a better cruiser in that it tends to be less sensitive on the controls than the SR22. Trim is also less sensitive.

Fit and finish seemed better than the Cirrus. Also, look at the flap hinges. Lancair is better here. On the other hand, pitot heat works on the Cirrus.

The doors shut easily. Gauges were easier to read. Fuses were easier to get to. No controls deep in the footwell as best I can remember.

However, the “just as wide” aspect, although mentioned by Lancair salesmen, is misleading. The cabin is as wide through the middle but not where your head is. It definitely felt more cramped to me. Also, the older planes required a wrench to adjust the seatback angle. I don’t know if that has been fixed yet.

Aesthetically the nose wheel looks out of place but the rest of the plane is prettier than the SR22. Don’t get me wrong, both are beautiful.

Don’t knock speedbrakes until you have used them. Wonderful.

My biggest concern has been with Lancair as a company. Cirrus is better run as a business and is showing the ability to continuously improve their planes. Furthermore, a lot of planes in the field gives better feedback on what works and what doesn’t. There has been a definite improvement in SR22 reliability over the past couple of years.

In reply to:

screens are same size… but its actually a better overall layout when the backup guages are considered.

Different strokes, but…

It seems like the vertical orientation results in a taller panel, by at least a few inches.

Doesn’t it?

They’re both beautiful planes.

When I was considering which to buy, it seemed that Lancair was on the verge of collapse and looking for enough funds to start building planes again. Did not build confidence. I wish them nothing but the best, and hope they sell a BUNCH of Columbia 400’s - competition improves the breed.