Now for the Cirrus stuff - Golf

Yours truly is about to embark on a trip to AZ, just exactly where is unknown. Anybody out there know of a golf resort destination (of course, close to a GA friendly airport). We, my bride and I, were thinking about Tucson (Southeren AZ) or maybe even New Mexico area as long as it is warm. In NM we don’t know where to go (that’s not a straight line). Our timing is likely the middle of February. …thinking “out loud” maybe even a Cirrus fly in somewhere?

Yours truly is about to embark on a trip to AZ, just exactly where is unknown. Anybody out there know of a golf resort destination (of course, close to a GA friendly airport). We, my bride and I, were thinking about Tucson (Southeren AZ) or maybe even New Mexico area as long as it is warm. In NM we don’t know where to go (that’s not a straight line). Our timing is likely the middle of February. …thinking “out loud” maybe even a Cirrus fly in somewhere?

If you’re looking for warm, you’re probably not going to find it anywhere in NM in February (you’ll find this out soon enough.) Even far southern NM is in the 50s and 60s this time of year. We had a blizzard yesterday morning, then clearing and 40s in the afternoon at SAF. Nighttime temps are in the teens. Density altitude was well underground (but still above 5000’) when I flew day before yesterday.

NM is lovely territory to fly over, and not so rugged that you feel as though your life is hanging on a thread all the time. There’s a subtle beauty to it, not quite as in-your-face as AZ. It becomes quickly apparent that at some point long ago NM was volcanically active, as there are very obvious cinder cones and lava plugs throughout the state. Not far from SAF (and just north of LAM) is a huge caldera, the remains of an immense volcano (estimated to have reached 29,000 feet) that blew up, leaving mere 12,000 foot remnants (and doubtlessly scorching the countryside.)

Flying over the Very Large Array (27 radio telescope dishes, as featured in the movie “Contact”) is kind of cool.

Last week I flew up to Taos, over the Sangre de Cristo mountains at Angel Fire, then down the east side to Las Vegas (NM) which was gorgeous (and only a little bumpy; the winds were light.)

Socorro is rumored to have the finest green chile cheeseburgers in the world (I’m sure that other places would argue; Bert’s Burger Bowl in Santa Fe isn’t too shabby either) and the airport manager promised to give me a ride to the restaurant the next time I’m in town.

I’d love to meet up with you in mid-Feb though; I’ll be back in town on the 18th. There’s another Cirrus flying out of Double Eagle in Albuquerque (heard him shooting landings on the radio) and another one due there soon, and another one due in Santa Fe this summer I think. Gonna get crowded soon.

If you’re looking for a unique fly-in experience, the Trinity Site (home of the first nuclear explosion) is open for tours for one day in April and October–it’d be fun to fly in, strap on the dosimeters, and check out the field of fused sand.

More regularly available is the Bradbury Science Museum in Los Alamos (I call it the Museum of the Friendly Neutron) which is an interesting cultural event in a company town. (The airport manager at LAM is also a friendly guy, and it’s a nice little airport; just be careful not to bust the Lab’s restricted airspace, which lies about 500’ south of the runway, and heed the mandatory VFR arrival and departure procedures.)

Do your golfing in AZ, and come to NM for some flying–it’s only an inch on the map! (Actually it’s about two Cirrus hours from Phoenix to Santa Fe, and those are darned big states.)

Go to Scottsdale. Airport is surrounded by golf courses, nice weather, although it will not be hot. Have fun!

You really can’t do any better than Scottsdale. Plenty of good golf courses and this time of year the weather is superb. Either Deer Valley or Scottsdale are terrific airports and can handle any and all of your needs.

There is a GA airport in Carefree, AZ (just north of Scottsdale). The Boulders Golf Resort is very close. Great place!