Lennies and Mountain Waves

Having whetted my appetite for soaring in Minden, Nevada a few years ago I have become spoiled. The first flight being a three hour wave ride to 22,000’ was incredible.

Lenticular clouds, stacked lenticulars are much feared by us “power” pilots (this is where a true sailplane pilot sneers!) as are “rotors” etc. To those who love to soar, they signal nirvana!

You have to look closely to see them in the distance.

Like pitbulls, once you get to understand them they are not so fearsome but still demand respect and can bite you real hard.

Gary and I were returning from the Reno Air Races this past September and were enjoying 40 to 50 knots directly on the tail at 15,000 from Reno through to eastern South Dakota.

These photos were taken about 50 nm south of Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

The “lennies” were everywhere but comoflaged by the other clouds.

Of course being careful and aware we watched our airspeed increase as expected on the upslope side wile we maintainted altitude. I said to Gary that we will expect either a slight burble at the apex of the wave if we’re above it or a real thrashing (ready for a power cut and speed reduction to maneouvering speed) if below. We were already indicating only 125 KIAS.

We got a sharp jolt and then lost 25 KIAS to maintain altitude for the next five minutes on the lee side of the mountains.

Neat ride this time but at lower altitudes there was potential for some real turbulence below the streamlines of the wave.

Sorry about the size of the images. I won’t bother posting more of them.

Robert:

I want to get the glider rating for just the reasons you mention.

Last year riding right seat with Curt Sanford to the Migration I snapped this shot, north of Jackson Hole, WY as I recall. The interesting thing is that I believe we had a fairly smooth ride and no real signs of riding a wave.

Tim
1-84580-lent.jpg

In reply to:

Of course being careful and aware we watched our airspeed increase as expected on the upslope side wile we maintainted altitude.

Its always frustrating to me how level flight causes you to do exactly the wrong thing from an energy management point of view – dive through the lift, and linger in the sink. I suppose we should really request a block altitude in wave and do a proper porpoise!

August, 2001 - Approaching Mount St. Helens. I elected to remain on the upwind side. [;)]

Wise move Mike!!!

Cool photos guys!

Very clear and well defined.

I posted the somewhat hidden lennies to illustrate how they might lurk in the clutter of ther clouds. Pure speculation here but can you imagine being on the wrong side of one of these over the mountains at night VFR?