Leaning/power setting

This is an SR22 question. I think I havethe answer now

In reply to:

Ahhh. OK. Now we’re getting somewhere. So it seems like the best use for the lean assist is to get the best LOP mixture since it will optimize for the power setting you’re already at. However, it sounds like there is no real method to using the lean assist to get one of the configurations in the POH charts. Soooo, it sounds like the best way to achieve one of these setting is the old fashioned way of just setting per the chart.

Here’s a terrific reference for leaning put together by COPA’s Gordon Feingold. It is based on the principals explained in Deakin’s Avweb articles which I referenced earlier in this thread. Many folks find it both more comprehensive and user friendly than using the POH to select mixture settings.

Paul

In reply to:

Ahhh. OK. Now we’re getting somewhere. So it seems like the best use for the lean assist is to get the best LOP mixture since it will optimize for the power setting you’re already at. However, it sounds like there is no real method to using the lean assist to get one of the configurations in the POH charts. Soooo, it sounds like the best way to achieve one of these setting is the old fashioned way of just setting per the chart.

It sounds to me like you are concerned that you should fly using one of the specific power setting choices listed in the POH. It is rare to find flight conditions (particularly temperature) that exactly match those listed in the POH. They are really reference points, not ‘best’ settings.

It also sounds like you are concerned that you should fly at some particular % of maximum rated horsepower. Again, there is no particular reason to think that you need to be precisely at, say 70% or 75% power. 72% or 76% is just fine.

The Lean Find mode is a farily simple way of setting power how ever many degrees rich or lean of peak that you might want to use.

Most people I know decide whether they want to go as fast as possible (ROP) or a bit slower and more efficiently (LOP), and take whatever % power they get.

Regards,

Tim

1 Like

Great…thanks. Both this and the article should help.

In reply to:

Great…thanks. Both this and the article should help.

They sure taught me a lot! The truth is that I learn something interesting and useful nearly every day just reading the COPA forums. The vast majority of useful information on the website is on the member’s side. We could really use another member like you, Cooper— If you join COPA and regret it, dinner is on me the next time you’re in Minneapolis!

Paul