fuel balance strategy

Someone mentioned switching tanks every 15 minutes on their 22. This seems excessive and anything excessive worries me.

The strategy someone on this forum taught me (who will remain nameless and blameless) is simple and obvious.

Fly 1/2 hour (burn 10gals)

Switch tanks

Fly 1 hour (burn 20gals)

Switch tanks

Fly 1 hour

Switch tanks

Land

Someone mentioned switching tanks every 15 minutes on their 22. This seems excessive and anything excessive worries me.

I have programmed my GNS430 to give me a warning every half an hour to remind me to change tanks. This works well. It also reminds me every 10 minutes to check the gauges, fuel content, engine etc.

Mike Glazer

The strategy someone on this forum taught me (who will remain nameless and blameless) is simple and obvious.

Fly 1/2 hour (burn 10gals)

Switch tanks

Fly 1 hour (burn 20gals)

Switch tanks

Fly 1 hour

Switch tanks

Land

My strategy is even simpler–switch every half hour when the 430 kicks me. This keeps one side heavier than the other all the time, so the first time it kicks me I decide which side I want heavier (if I’m alone in the plane I’ll keep the right wing heavier) and possibly skip the tank switch. After that, when the bell rings I drool like Pavlov’s dog.