EVS Camera Usage - Question for GTS Owners

Does anyone actually use the EVS? I have a 2016 SR22 G5 GTS and I think I’ve turned it on once in the air just to see if it worked and a couple times on the ground for the same reason. Having it reduces airspeed 2 knots, adds a bit of weight, and adds $ cost. There are a lot of great features in the GTS package, but I feel like this isn’t one of them.

Agree. I wonder if one could take it off and put a plate on the underside of the wing and put a EVS in op sticker on the MFD. I have noticed my newer to to me GTS FIKi NA bird is 5 kts. slower then my G1 was. Still love it!

One of the 22s had a busted camera and the maintenance shop was able to take it off (and I don’t recall seeing an inop sticker on the MFD). Cirrus did something to fix it and its back on slowing down the plane.

I feel like we’re missing something in how it was intended to be used. Personally - If you’re gonna attach something extra to the wing - make it an extra pitot tube on the right side.

I had mine removed, will put it back on when I sell it. Really didn’t notice a speed difference, had to be some but would guess less than two knots.

I love mine, totally felt it was a “high tech toy” which I’d never use… when it was pulled off recently for a rebuild I really missed it (back on now working perfectly).

Scenarios for usage:

(1) Avoiding cloud build-ups at night. Easily done visually when it’s a night with a full moon, but not so much when there’s an overcast layer high above. I’ve had many occasions where there’s towering buildups ahead (with no radar precip shown yet), the EVS makes it easy to see and maneuver around them, for passengers especially this much more comfortable instead of getting shaken up going straight through the clouds.

(2) Dark ramps - watch out for those random cones! I fly a lot of late night flights, often to remote airports. It’s shocking how many random cones are scattered around ramps, EVS is almost a second set of eyes making them really stand out. Aside from remote airports, Shreveport SHV comes to mind, that place has a ramp which is pitch black and virtually always has a course of cones to dodge while taxiing in to park - and the line guys rarely use lighted wands. I always turn on the EVS coming into any ramp at night for this exact reason. Much cheaper than an engine teardown from some fool leaving obstacles scattered around carelessly.

(3) Staying between layers. This is more advanced in nature, but on cool winter nights with cloud layers it gives a great view of the deck above an the deck below - important when you know there’s ice in both of those layers. This isn’t a substitute for proper pre-flight planning understanding where the icing layers are at, but once you’re up and running between them it’s a useful re-assurance that “gap” you’re flying is remaining exactly where it was anticipated. I literally used this for 700 miles of safe flying in these conditions earlier this year (obviously with many “outs” if conditions changed).

(4) Mountains. Admittedly, this one is more of a “nice to have” than a real “benefit”. I fly out West often - and again, often at night after meetings going to my next destination. I’m above a lot of mountainous terrain. Will this really “help” me if I were to have an engine failure, etc? Probably not. Although maybe for spotting more suitable terrain to fly towards for the chute pull. But is it comforting and reassuring along with other tools such as terrain, TAWS, etc. to actually see the mountains around me? I believe it is and it puts me more at ease on these flights which are by nature deemed more dangerous.

Lastly, I realize my usage scenario and mission profiles are likely vastly different than the majority - so for many this may in fact be a cool tech toy and nothing more. For myself however, it’s a tool in my toolbox to allow me to conduct my flights safely and I rely on it often, well worth the investment.

7 Likes

An example of using EVS at night to “see” if there are any buildups:

6 Likes

I use mine for many of the above. As well as animals on the runway!

1 Like

I have turned mine on twice. However, on my last night flight, after I put the plane in the hangar I saw three deer headed towards the runway. From now on at night, I will definitely use it.

1 Like

thanks for the list I will use these for my next night flight and Im definitely learning from this thread. I would see the animal avoidance as a great option and practical as I had to stop the other night after exiting the runway as I could see some light up eyes in front of me on taxi. Stopped the plane and the wife asked why we were stopping I pointed out the coyotes in front of us on the taxiway…

On a related note, what do people use (if anything) for cleaning the external sensor/lens? The image on mine looks speckled with crud, and the exterior lens looks like it hasn’t been cleaned in a while (plane is new to me).

3 Likes

Even in split screen mode, I lose too much on the MFD when the EVS is on. What I would really like is to pair the EVS with the profile strip, so I can have both tell me what towers ahead.