door handle paint cracking/rubbing

On later model SR20s and 22s, a change was made to the painting specification for the doors around the exterior handle area. If you have a relatively recent SR20 or 22, have you noticed that your exterior door handle will rub against and crack the paint surrounding your door if the handle is not extended fully?

I’m curious if I’m the only one who has seen this?

On earlier models, the outer ring of the door handle was left unpainted, which created just a metal-on-metal contact point of the door was opened without the handle extended fully.

Paul

Paul,

I have noticed the same issue on serial #74. Small chips/cracks have developed around spot that the handle rotates from. It does seem to have worn itself down enough that I don’t think it will get much worse.

It may have to do with the way the inside handle puts pressure on the outside handle when closing the door from the inside. If the outer handle is not placed into it’s recess before getting in and pulling the door shut, The outer handles scrapes across the outer skin when the inner handle is used. I came to this realization yesterday after wondering how the outside handles seemed to always be closed on the co-pilot’s (wife’s) side of the plane when I get out before she does.

Stu

On later model SR20s and 22s, a change was made to the painting specification for the doors around the exterior handle area. If you have a relatively recent SR20 or 22, have you noticed that your exterior door handle will rub against and crack the paint surrounding your door if the handle is not extended fully?

I’m curious if I’m the only one who has seen this?

On earlier models, the outer ring of the door handle was left unpainted, which created just a metal-on-metal contact point of the door was opened without the handle extended fully.

Paul