Costs of Bi-Annual Instrument Checks

Does anyone have a good estimate of how much bi-annual instrument checks should be? ELT, Transponder, IFR Cert…

In reply to:

Does anyone have a good estimate of how much bi-annual instrument checks should be? ELT, Transponder, IFR Cert…

Scott: I have forgotten exactly what it was but I believe it was in the range of $50-75.

It seems to be the practice in most shops that these checks are done by an outside person. I don’t think there is enough demand to justify the shop to have the instruments on hand.

I think the tests were of the pitot-static system and the transponder.

AFIK, tests of the ELT don’t require any special equipment. The ELT transmits on 121.5 and is easily checked. The battery date needs to be checked.

The tests are required for IFR flight and should not be overlooked.

Here in Florida I’ve seen “specials” at some avionics shops for $250.00

Scott

I had one done years ago for $50 but they should be about $200 if done properly.
The newsletter of the shop I use, Islip Avionics at KISP, states that “the compliance with this regulation ( FAR 91.411) requires that the altimeter(s) be removed, BENCH tested I.A.W. Far 43 appendix E and reinstalled. Then the static system components and ports are visually inspected, then a static system leak test is performed. Finally the “automatic pressure altitude reporting system” is tested…”
the transponder certification is included in this price. Local shop rate is $85, and in my opinion, fairly represents the time it takes to do the job properly

John
N468JP Sr20 #1261

June 2004 Annual paid 225.00 on SR 22.

In reply to:

I paid $155 at a top notch Avionics Shop in Prescott last month.

Walt

In reply to:

Scott: I have forgotten exactly what it was but I believe it was in the range of $50-75.
It seems to be the practice in most shops that these checks are done by an outside person. I don’t think there is enough demand to justify the shop to have the instruments on hand.
I think the tests were of the pitot-static system and the transponder.
AFIK, tests of the ELT don’t require any special equipment. The ELT transmits on 121.5 and is easily checked. The battery date needs to be checked.
The tests are required for IFR flight and should not be overlooked.

I have seen it advertised in the $250-300 range over here.
Raj