cockpit pre heating

I installed the Tanis cabin/avionics heater a couple of years ago and love it. It integrates with the Tanis engine heater so that when you turn on the engine preheat it also turns on the cabin heater all from the same plug & it’s part of the STC so I feel pretty safe using it. It works great. Cabin is nice and warm by the time I get there and no fogging of windows when I get it.

$380 for this just seems abusive to me. It’s not the money, it’s the point. Then again, something tells me that I will end up buying one anyway. :slight_smile:

I will be doing the same. I have been using a cheap space heater in the hangar for years. The Tanis solution is clean, and travels well.

1 Like

Interesting. I thought $380 was very reasonable for a STCd cabin heater from Tanis. Can one by a space heater for $20? Sure but I wasn’t comfortable relying on those options.

With the Cirrus STC it actually gets mounted where it’s out of the way/sight

That is what convinced me to spend the extra money. I fly year round, and it would be very convenient to have one extension cord supply power to heat both the engine and the cockpit, particularly away from home.

Was it much effort to install?

if i recall it took 2-3 hours and that included A&P calling and speaking with TANIS about some placement/installation questions

1 Like

Mine goes in next week. I’ll report back.

2 Likes

You will love it. I’m a Tanis cabin pre-heat early adopter having used one for a for a few years now. Highly recommend. When you read about the design you’ll understand why it cost what it does. I agree it’s a bargain and happy I found a no worry safe cabin pre-heater.

I recently checked the power consumption;
540 watts / 4.5 Amps. The Tanis engine heater and
Tanis cabin heat together use 930 watts / 8.0 amps.
I have it set up to control them separately. I find I don’t need the cabin heater on as long as engine heat. But it’s fine to do so. It won’t over heat the cabin.

Thanks for the pirep. So you have two different plugs for them? One in each cowl inlet?

Mine is not permanently installed. I got it early before paperwork was completed to do so. I may decide to do it. In winter I simply place heater on top of my G2 under pax seat metal AC system cover. It’s portable, small, fits well and directs warm (not too hot) air forward toward the foot well and avionics. A few hours later entire cabin seats and avionics are just warm enough. Warm airplane. Warm pilot. It’s own power line connects outside pax door to extension cord from remote switch. Not perfect, but easy and works well. Stays in hangar after winter.

See, that doesn’t appeal to me. Not for $380. I get all you just said with a $20 ceramic heater connected to my SwitcheOn. The $380 price appeals to me in order to have something permanently mounted and integrated with the engine block heater. Something I can have with the aircraft when traveling.

I flew the SD this week and paid for heated hangar storage. I’m kind of a wimp about climbing into an ice cold aircraft. If I had this, I could have had the non heated hangar and I wonder if I could have had them plug into my Tanis this morning, a few hours before I departed. I’d prefer that, just in case of snow. Pull a warm aircraft out when it’s showing, the snow can melt and freeze on the aircraft surfaces (this is how I sell these things to myself).

I can see why the best use of this cabin heater Is to have it permanently installed and share one power connection with the engine heater. A quick look at the Tanis website shows other options since I bought mine. Including the more costly full STC’d permanent mount kit with heater, mounting bracket, wires and everything you need to have it permanently installed. ($680?)

I was just never comfortable leaving my aircraft unattended with a few different ceramic heaters I’d tried.I searched for one I’d consider to be safe. Never found it. I happened to call Tanis as they were just finishing up testing before product release. I got one of the first.

I’m very comfortable with the Tanis heater operating when the aircraft is unattended because of the specific safety features In its design. Suggest you chat with Tanis directly about it. Well worth $380 for heater alone in my experience. It has since provided me with a lot of comfort all the way around. I have no connection to Tanis other than being a satisfied customer.

Check out Hangarbot for some useful solutions. Can even have your own network in your hangar to flight plan during preflight.

Thanks for Hangarbot alert. Interesting. I particularly like the snowmelt option. Nothing like an unexpected frozen hangar door weather seal to slow a launch day down.

I already pay AT&T way too much. This would be more attractive to me with better data connection options. Cameras on cell data? No way.

Camera only comes on if motion activated. Pretty cheap package prices for data that start at about $15 per month. You can even connect it directly to your Tanis system or add Tanis if you don’t have it. It also has a wifi option if you have existing wifi service at your hangar.

Added the Tannis cabin heater to my SR22T today. Using the Swithceon product to turn on the Tanis engine preheat currently and love it. $50/yr for the cell service for the Switcheon. Looking forward to having one plug for both engine and cabin heat as well as being able to turn the set up on from my home.
Having an STC’d, travel friendly solution was the selling point. That and a warm cockpit this winter…

1 Like

If you’d also like a remote door controller or camera system added to your phone you can call me any time Sam (727) 339-7315