Cirrus SR20 perspective but NO AutoPilot

Wow, what a great discussion on pros & cons of AP for student pilot, but back to my original question, does anyone know how a AP can be installed in this SR20?

I spoke to Cirrus & they tell me that it can’t be done, but won’t give me a clear response why.

So, here’s a thought, what if I leave all the avionics currently in the plane alone, & just install 2 G5’s & GFC 500, would that work? Or do I just Not know what I’m talking about?

Try calling Dave Featherstone at Nexair Avionics 877-318-0975. He knows more about Cirrus avionics than anyone else I can think of.
If there’s a way to install an autopilot, he’ll know.

3 Likes

Agree, Dave can almost certainly do it. I bet it’s quite expensive though. By the time you add the autopilot head, the servos, the wiring harnesses, the interconnect to the control surfaces, and the software updates it’s going to be major surgery. Really depends how much of the “standard” airplane bits were left in the plane when it was built.

Jim

1 Like

Thanks, Will reach out to him.

When cost is no concern, I think a primary and initial instrument trainer with glass, but no AP, then an advanced trainer with AP is the ideal solution. Just not economical for most.

Current Navy, Marine, and Coast Guard fixed wing students start on the T-6B Texan II with full glass, but no flight director or autopilot. After about 100 hrs in the plane and 100 hours of sim, they then transition to a King Air C-90 with Collins Proline 21, full FD/AP that is quite effective and robust. Another 100 hrs sim and 100 in the plane rounds out their flight training. While effective, I would not have wanted to foot my training bill.

I rarely fly my Cirrus not on AP, but feel 100% confident doing so if needed. Some enjoy hand flying… I do to, but the C-130 has a much better hand flying feel to me, so I do my hand flying at work, and gentle AP flying in the Cirrus with the family.

1 Like

Resale is the reason you need an autopilot.

For the GFC700 install he would need new wire harnesses, servos, pitch trim adapter, autopilot head, ect, ect , ect.

I converted a Perspective airplane with a 55x to GFC700 once and it was a total gut job of the plane and took 120 man hours.

Going from nothing to a 55X would be a lot cheaper and easier. But then you still have a 55X

Easy. To have it when it‘s not primary instruction anymore.

The Air Force Trainer T53A (a stripped SR20) does NOT have the autopilot - or rear seats
no wheel pants either.
-J-

1 Like

I’m very curious what this was listed / purchased for.