Cessna Spam

I think the majority of Cirrus’ customers bought the sizzle…not the steak.
Dave,
I can tell you that we bought our Cirrus for the steak, and every bite has been delicious!

Cheers,
Roger

Michael,

You make an excellent point, and I hope you’re correct.

Cheers,
Roger

I think Michael is correct. Their web sight shows that they are located in Lake in the Hills, IL. They also have an office in Wisconsin.

Marty,
I agree — Aviation Consumer is a class act. And I don’t blame them for being upset when the Cessna dealers in question began distributing copies of their article without permission.

Cheers,
Roger

No, I got the plane for the steak. Roger got it for the Walleye Pike.
glenn

Heck, I bought it for the raspberry and rhubarb pie! And I can tell you, it’s to die for!!

Spam, steak, walleye pike… this thread is making me [hungry!

](http://www.allyourtv.com/gallery/moviesandspecials/g/gluttonbowl/gallerygluttonbowl.html)

Jim,
Thanks for the superb analogy!
Cheers,
Roger
P. S.: Jim knows the subject of college admissions well — see his http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/fallows/jf2002-09-25/Fallows@Large column about the admissions process, currently available on the Atlantic Monthly web site, and his article about http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2001/09/fallows.htm"The Early Admissions Racket." They make enlightening reading for anyone with kids applying to university…

I agree Jim, however, who would buy a new Cessna over a Cirrus?

Before a decided to buy my SR20 I went to Cesna dealer to look at a new 182. It was on carpet in a showroom like a car dealer. I was undecided , This was Nov of 2000 It looked great from about 20 feet but on close look the fit and finish realy was horible I would not pay 260,000 for that price at the time. But availble on the spot to get. I decided at that time I would get the sr20 And But apossiton and wait 9 months. Not to mention the I found out later about all the sb and such that came with the cessnas. My plane is not perfect but close to it. And tomorrow when I get it back from annnual and new shute cable And sb’s done it will be closer to were I want it. From Don

Clyde,

I would have thought an Aussie like you would have bought it for the meat pies and Cherry Ripe. And the cup holders will also do double duty as Vegemite jar holders!

Cheers,
Roger

I forgot to say My SR20 cosmetics are near perfect and I do not think there is a perfect product made in our society today. Unless you talking about my concrete just kidding Never is it perfect just does not happen you lok close enough every thing has its flaws. From Don

Unless you’re talking about my concrete…
Don,
Here’s an idea… A concrete airplane would certainly be strong, and I’m sure that with your concrete the finish would be perfect. It would also be the world’s safest airplane, since it could never get off the ground![:)]

Cheers,
Roger

Here’s an idea… A concrete airplane would certainly be strong, and I’m sure that with your concrete the finish would be perfect. It would also be the world’s safest airplane, since it could never get off the ground!

Roger,

And a concrete canoe would never float, either, right? Don’t be too certain about that: http://www.uah.edu/student_life/organizations/ASCE/

Amazing what those good ol’ boys can do with a little cee-ment.

I think you could safely call some forms of reinforced concrete “composite.” At least you wouldn’t have to worry so much about UV degradation.

-Mike

Hi Brig,

The (potentially) good news is that Lancair may be getting their finances in order fairly soon, based on a recent post by Lance Neibauer on the Lancair piots web site (http://www.lancairpilots.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=584bfab42fbf233d3dfc0e5f5b5ac931&threadid=143&perpage=15&pagenumber=10click here). It would be a shame to lose such distinguished competition, and we wish them the best! (But I agree that it would be nice if their sales pitch included a bit less bashing of Cirrus and Cirrus pilots.)

Cheers,
Roger

Roger,

In that Lancair thread you had linked, there is some reference made to an offer by Cirrus to the Columbia position holders. Reading between the lines it sounded like CD is working on a deal regarding the deposits that Lancair has taken from their customers.

Ironic that this COPA thread started with a tactic by Cessna looking to attract customers from its competitor. Clearly CD is doing the same thing but my guess is that it was done in a positive way rather than by bashing the Columbia aircraft.

Anyone know what the offer was???

Hi Mike,
It’s interesting to note that concrete has a density of only 2 g/cm3, as compared to 2.7 g/cm3 for aluminum. I wonder if you could cast very thin sheets of concrete to build up an airplane skin? What would the materials properties be like? (Glenn, do you want to weigh in here?) Now, there’s a project for those 'Bama engineering students…
It’s certainly true that a solid concrete airplane wouldn’t fly. But then, neither would a solid aluminum one.

Cheers,
Roger

Brig,

http://www.lancairpilots.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=e068daf70fe844532edda97256f63bdb&threadid=193Click here to see Kevin Moore’s post on the Lancair forum concerning the offer that Cirrus made to Lancair position holders.

Cheers,
Roger

The offer that Cirrus made didn’t touch the Lancair position holder’s deposits, i.e. it was not a trade-in offer. It was an offer to get in line for a fully-loaded SR22 late this year with a non-transferable discount. Apparently Cirrus had some production slots freed up by people wanting to defer delivery until next year when the PFD is available, and saw that as an opportunity to help themselves while helping out the Lancair position holders. I believe they have had some people take up the offer, but no idea on numbers.

If Lancair pull through, those people will potentially end up with two planes, but I guess that is the kind of problem that a Lancair buyer would love to have right now.

I think the main point is that while Cirrus might well have been taking advantage of the current situation, they didn’t do so by denigrating Lancair, and the offer was genuine and quite attractive.