Auto-Crossfill on 430s

Remember seeing a comment recently about an option to automatically cross fill the 430s.

I have docn and understand the “manual” form of initiating a cross fill from the flight plan or flight plan catalog on one of the 430s.

My question is: Is there any way to set one 430 to automatically crossfill the other 430 whenever the flight plan in the “top” 430 changes? Would save a lot of button pushing when ATC starts getting creative in Class B airspace!

Also, is this option documented and I’ve gone braindead?

Bob SR22/#43

Remember seeing a comment recently about an option to automatically cross fill the 430s.

I have docn and understand the “manual” form of initiating a cross fill from the flight plan or flight plan catalog on one of the 430s.

My question is: Is there any way to set one 430 to automatically crossfill the other 430 whenever the flight plan in the “top” 430 changes? Would save a lot of button pushing when ATC starts getting creative in Class B airspace!

Also, is this option documented and I’ve gone braindead?

Bob SR22/#43

Bob,

To enable automatic crossfill, go to the AUX section (with the larger knob) then select “Crossfill”. I’m not sitting in front of the plane right now but I believe there’s a setting there which can either be “Manual” (where you must manually initiate the crossfill) or “Automatic” (which automatically cross-fills, whenever the flight plan or direct-to changes). I don’t remember offhand if you need to set both Garmins to “automatic”, or only the ‘transmitting’ one or only the ‘receiving’ one…

That said, I actually prefer manual crossfill. It doesn’t seem to add much to my situational awareness to have the same flight plan displayed on both Garmins (and the Arnav). I prefer to use #1 Garmin for the actual flight plan and #2 for stuff like “direct-to” the destination, so I know the specific distance to the final destination, or “what-if” scenarios, etc. In fact, that’s not too original - before picking up the plane I read on this forum how someone else did the same thing: flight plan in #1, and #2 for "what-if"s.

I suppose if the #1 Garmin just died, it would have been helpful to have the flight-plan pre-programmed in #2. But in that extremely unlikely situation, I’ll just have to be prepared to re-read my clearance notes and re-program the #2 Garmin at that time…

Just my thoughts - obviously we all have our own preferences!

Steve

I suppose if the #1 Garmin just died, it would have been helpful to have the flight-plan pre-programmed in #2.

Can the auto pilot and the HSI take information from GPS #2?

That said, I actually prefer manual crossfill. It doesn’t seem to add much to my situational awareness to have the same flight plan displayed on both Garmins (and the Arnav). I prefer to use #1 Garmin for the actual flight plan and #2 for stuff like “direct-to” the destination, so I know the specific distance to the final destination, or “what-if” scenarios, etc. In fact, that’s not too original - before picking up the plane I read on this forum how someone else did the same thing: flight plan in #1, and #2 for "what-if"s.

Have your cake and eat it too. Program #1 for auto-crossfill, and turn it off on #2. Any time #1 changes (including hitting ->D in the middle of your flight plan) it will update #2. Meanwhile you can do all your what-ifs on #2 without worrying about screwing up your flight plan and autopilot.

Art,

Nope, A/P and HSI only from GPS #1.

The 2nd CDI is permanently connected to GPS #2.

Steve

On SR20s with the Century HSIs, the answer is most definitely NO, which is unfortunate.

I am not familiar with the Sandel, whether it can get info from GPS2, and pass it to the autopilot. Someone else needs to answer for that configuration.

–Brand