Arnav; Life Flashing By (Separate topics)

I went away on vacation last Thursday (more on that) and came back to see all the debate on the Arnav.

A couple of perspectives. I am among the Arnav advocates, which is not to say that it couldn’t be improved. Classic cup more than half full. At the same time, obsolescence is a concern. This is a classic example of the benefit of having an owners’ society, with a head that both Cirrus and the owners trust. (Marty still is a great candidate, as far as I’m concerned.) We could get an official, definitive response, respresenting a give an take between the owners and the company. Even a response such as “Cirrus can’t comment not on its future plans with Arnav, but clearly understands the owners’ concerns and is committed to a course of action that assures Cirrus airplanes will not be materially behind current technology, assuming owners are willing to invest in an upgrade” would be very reassuring.

Separately, how do you like this. My wife, two girls, and I went from St. Louis to San Jose to visit our son who has a summer job in Silicon Valley, and to celebrate his 18th birthday. Thirty minutes into the flight, a loud “poof” sound, and the plane is filled with smoke. Flight attendant announces emergency descent and landing into Kansas City; teaches us how to assume the position. Captain gets on, obviously with oxygen mask, and say we’ll be down in ten minutes. Then, plane goes into big vibration mode. Lights start flickering on and off. Andy starts getting scared. Landed, evacuated. Those slides are really fast. Black smoke coming from rear engine, on other side of plane. Military men with M-16’s made me realize we’re not in Kansas (City), Dorothy, but Whiteman AFB, home of the B-2’s. Apparently, vibration made pilots change course to the nearby 12,000 X 300 foot runway. Later saw other side of airplane (damaged side). Forward 25% of engine/cowling bent down at 45 degree angle. Extensive damage, obviously the cause of vibration. Good choice to choose Whiteman - safe landing, incredible people at Whiteman.

At Whiteman, pilot told me he had 4 simultaneous emergencies: engine, smoke, vibration, and electrical.

Here’s the FAA account in the San Jose newspaper: “The pilot ‘did everything right, said FAA spokeswoman Liz Cory. There was no smoke or fire, and the only warning of the problem was the engine light,’ she said.”

Now, you think I’m done but I’m not. Guess what happened on the way home. Here’s a hint: “poof”.

Can you believe this…again! More routine this time. No vibration, returned to San Jose.

Both cases, apparently had “exploding” compressor fans.

Anyone want to go flying with me?

Glad to be here, needless to say.

Andy

Geeeeeze Andy, what a day. Glad you are still with us and hope you get your Cirrus soon.
Denis

P.S. What kind of aircraft was that…and year manufactured, airline?

I went away on vacation last Thursday (more on that) and came back to see all the debate on the Arnav.

A couple of perspectives. I am among the Arnav advocates, which is not to say that it couldn’t be improved. Classic cup more than half full. At the same time, obsolescence is a concern. This is a classic example of the benefit of having an owners’ society, with a head that both Cirrus and the owners trust. (Marty still is a great candidate, as far as I’m concerned.) We could get an official, definitive response, respresenting a give an take between the owners and the company. Even a response such as “Cirrus can’t comment not on its future plans with Arnav, but clearly understands the owners’ concerns and is committed to a course of action that assures Cirrus airplanes will not be materially behind current technology, assuming owners are willing to invest in an upgrade” would be very reassuring.

Separately, how do you like this. My wife, two girls, and I went from St. Louis to San Jose to visit our son who has a summer job in Silicon Valley, and to celebrate his 18th birthday. Thirty minutes into the flight, a loud “poof” sound, and the plane is filled with smoke. Flight attendant announces emergency descent and landing into Kansas City; teaches us how to assume the position. Captain gets on, obviously with oxygen mask, and say we’ll be down in ten minutes. Then, plane goes into big vibration mode. Lights start flickering on and off. Andy starts getting scared. Landed, evacuated. Those slides are really fast. Black smoke coming from rear engine, on other side of plane. Military men with M-16’s made me realize we’re not in Kansas (City), Dorothy, but Whiteman AFB, home of the B-2’s. Apparently, vibration made pilots change course to the nearby 12,000 X 300 foot runway. Later saw other side of airplane (damaged side). Forward 25% of engine/cowling bent down at 45 degree angle. Extensive damage, obviously the cause of vibration. Good choice to choose Whiteman - safe landing, incredible people at Whiteman.

At Whiteman, pilot told me he had 4 simultaneous emergencies: engine, smoke, vibration, and electrical.

Here’s the FAA account in the San Jose newspaper: “The pilot ‘did everything right, said FAA spokeswoman Liz Cory. There was no smoke or fire, and the only warning of the problem was the engine light,’ she said.”

Now, you think I’m done but I’m not. Guess what happened on the way home. Here’s a hint: “poof”.

Can you believe this…again! More routine this time. No vibration, returned to San Jose.

Andy

Andy
Holy Moly, Andy!

Actually, I think you’re the BEST person to have on board an airplane now. After all, it would be a statistical near-impossibility for this stuff to happen with you on board… AGAIN.

Glad to hear you’re safe and sound.

Mike.

Wow Andy! Glad to hear everyone’s OK. You weren’t, by chance, flying last Friday (the 13th), were you? :wink:

Andy

Andy,

I saw media coverage of your flight. They characterized it as a simple engine issue.

Yikes.

CAPS anyone?

Good for the pilot diverting a second time after the vibration started. Just goes to show you, a seasoned pilot errs on the side of extreme caution.

Geeeeeze Andy, what a day. Glad you are still with us and hope you get your Cirrus soon.
Denis

P.S. What kind of aircraft was that…and year manufactured, airline?

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20010717X01445&key=1Click here for the NTSB preliminary report on Andy’s wild ride, and http://www8.landings.com/cgi-bin/nph-search_nnr?pass=37836515&nnumber=9413Tclick here for information about the MD-83 involved.

Kudos to the TWA crew that had the presence of mind and professionalism to deal with a real emergency!

Cheers,

Roger