An 1870 mile flight

For those of us who love our plastic planes of all kinds - a story of setting up a Columbia 300 to go a long way.

I have to admit a twinge of jealousy reading about the range of the diesel TwinStar. But this flight shows our old IO-550Ns aren’t completely outdated yet.

Steve:
as a deposit holder who expects his 42 in mid to late 2006, with the long range tanks, I can’t wait to try a distance run some day! Great post and thanks for sharing over at LOPA!!

If you think the twinstar looks great, you havent seen the 2 times Centurion 4.0 JetA diesel’s on the TT62 Alekto !

But at that time, US Air might fly the dreamliner…[;)]
1-132974-tt62elekto.bmp (758 KB)

In reply to:

For those of us who love our plastic planes of all kinds - a story of setting up a Columbia 300 to go a long way.

Steve,

That is amazing! 1,870 NM out of Madison would get you all the way to England with a single stop in Greenland! [:)]

In reply to:

Steve:
as a deposit holder who expects his 42 in mid to late 2006, with the long range tanks, I can’t wait . . .

Sure you can. You can wait . . . and wait . . . and wait.
. . .
BTW. Will there be enough money left in the Social Security system to cover the diesel fuel bill when you finally ‘do’ get delivery.
I heard a rumor that teleportation will be perfected roughly at the same time as delivery of the Diamond DA42 diesel.

In reply to:

as a deposit holder who expects his 42 in mid to late 2006, with the long range tanks…

Tom,

You’re going to find yourself with a lot of new “relatives” when that delivery happens. [;)] “Hey Tom, I’m your grandma’s niece’s brother-in-law–can we go for a ride?” [:D]

I know—your just envious of my delivery position [;)]
As long as I can keep bumming rides from you, Fast Eddie The Flounder and Mason—I’ll be fine until I get mine! [:)]

In reply to:

As long as I can keep bumming rides from you, Fast Eddie The Flounder and Mason—I’ll be fine until I get mine!

Boy - are you gonna owe us by then!

From Dennis:

In reply to:

You can wait . . . and wait . . . and wait.

C’mon Dennis - play nice!

In reply to:

Boy - are you gonna owe us by then!
From Dennis:
In reply to:
You can wait . . . and wait . . . and wait.
C’mon Dennis - play nice!

I have a professional reputation to uphold. I don’t play nice . . . GRRRRRR
Anyhow, there are those who do, and those who watch others do.
Dear Tom; Get a plane already. One that flys. One that is in “currently” in existance. A hang glider . . . anything

hahahaha—Eddie—Iam good on the payoff—good stick time for you in my 42!!

As for Dennis—he has a lot of class-----all low----but he has a lot of it!! [;)]
I think he should be on stage-----the next one leaves in 10 minutes----Sorry Dennis couldnt resist!! [:)]

ok–as to getting a plane—any plane—I am currently using US Air’s to get me around!! I am dedicated to a 42, kind of like the pig vs the chicken----when a chicken lays an egg, he is committted, when a pig becomes bacon, he is dedicated!!! I am definitely here for the long haul with the DA42----frankly glad they are de-bugging it in Europe in 2005 and by the time I get mine, hopefully most of the bugs will be worked out. Even if I had a chance to get one in 2005, I would not take it—let the early adopters work out the niggles!!
Now—you guys need to be sure you get the new turbonormalized options as soon as it is available–I would love to see how it performes with the Lancair 400!!

In reply to:

…and by the time I get mine, hopefully most of the bugs will be worked out.

Worked out? Hell, they’ll probably all just have died from old age!

In reply to:

hahahaha—Eddie—Iam good on the payoff—good stick time for you in my 42!!!

I’ll gladly pay you Tuesday, for an airplane ride today.

hahahaha----them—what about me!!! [:)]
You have to admit—it sure looks awesome!! Worth waiting for!

In reply to:

you have to admit—it sure looks awesome!! Worth waiting for!

Yes, that’s true. Vapor often looks awesome.

In reply to:

Yes, that’s true. Vapor often looks awesome.

Good to see the wise-guy is still with us. [:D]

In reply to:

But at that time, US Air might fly the dreamliner…

Jaap,

I think that they will still be able to afford a fleet of these:

[;)]

Andy–hahaha so true----providing Diamond delivers on the performance—and I think they will–but with delays which really don’t bug me to much. All I want is a plane that does what they initially said with most of the bugs rung out of it—then I will be a happy camper and will be able to take trips with Mason, “Fast Eddie The Flounder” and “Dennis THE MENACE”. Hmmm—we are going to have to get Mason a nick name!! [;)]

In reply to:

All I want is a plane that does what they initially said with most of the bugs rung out of it…

Tom,

It will definitely be worth the wait to suffer less gremlins.

In reply to:

…then I will be a happy camper and will be able to take trips with Mason, “Fast Eddie The Flounder” and “Dennis THE MENACE”. Hmmm—we are going to have to get Mason a nick name!!

I’m sure the three of you will have no problem figuring out a nickname for Mason. Just be nice. [:D]