A night out

I was in San Diego up untill a week ago at a meeting of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine, the AAPM. That meeting had a reception on Wednesday night. I invited some southern-California COPA friends to attend and connected them with AAPM pilots. The cast of characters follows…

Back row: Me (weinhous, SR22); Rick Beach (sdbeach, SR22); Roger Freedman (airboy, SR20); space, Gordon Feingold (gordonf, SR22); and Larry Reinstein (TB-20)

Front row: Fran; Bob Dixon (C182 and L-39 Albatross); Dan Low (Mooney); Gordon’s wife, Papa Lima; and Larry’s wife, Anne

A good time was had by all (was fun to take a break and talk flying rather than physics :slight_smile:
6-56420-pilots.jpg

Marty,
This was indeed a grand night out. Thanks for inviting us!
I can’t help relating a story from that evening — the hotel in San Diego graciously provided Marty (the president of the AAPM) with complimentary use of their most deluxe suite, which was deluxe indeed (as well as large enough to hangar his SR22). As it happened, President Bush was coming to San Diego at the same time, and wanted the same suite for his own use. To which the hotel gently but firmly replied that Dr. Weinhous had priority! Who says COPA members don’t wield unsuspected amounts of power?

Cheers,
Roger

Why Papalima and I are smiling…
[;)]
1-56884-gropeWife.jpg

I’m surprised they didn’t issue a TFR covering Marty’s room (although the coordinates given would actually be for two rooms down, and the radial and DME would point to a different hotel) and have the SS, oops, I mean Secret Service, throw him out on grounds of national security.

-Mike

Roger,

In reply to:

Bush was coming to San Diego at the same time, and wanted the same suite for his own use

I’m better informed now about what happened…

President Bush was arriving at the Miramar Naval Air Station Thursday noon for some photo opportunities with the troups. He was then to attend a fund-raiser at the San Diego Convention Center Thursday from 5-7 PM.

President Bush’s “people” contacted the hotel’s management who contacted the AAPM’s Deputy Executive Director, Angela, because Bush wanted my suite in the Marriott on Thursday afternoon and evening.

Angela said NO.

She suggested that they use the unoccupied suite in the other tower of the Marriott.

Bush’s people called the hotel management back saying that the North Tower was too far away (and I’m not making that up - apparently the extra 50 yards was too much). Hotel management again asked Angea for my suite.

Angela said NO.

Bush’s people called the hotel’s management back yet again saying that they could get the penthouse suite in the Hyatt (by bumping out the man who owned both the Marriott and Hyatt properties and who lived there), but would rather have my suite. Hotel management again asked Angea for my suite.

Angela said NO.

Bush used the suite at the Hyatt.

Angela was just doing her usual superb job of protecting the Association’s interests. Thanks to Angela, the AAPM Board of Directors was able to have their traditional post-meeting reception in my President’s Suite. Many of us watched the Bush motorcade as he departed the convention center and said things… Was funny…

Whoo! I never would have thought a physicists’ convention would attract such pretty women! :wink:

Whoo! I never would have thought a physicists’ convention would attract such pretty women! :wink:

Dave,

You need to start hanging out with physicists so you can learn our secrets!

Cheers,
Roger

In reply to:

never would have thought a physicists’ convention would attract such pretty women!

Like other 'techies," we may wear pocket protectors as youngsters - but watch out for us as adults.[:)]

Gordon,

In reply to:

Why Papalima and I are smiling…

Guess it’s all about navigation.[:)]